Nausea while on Amitriptyline

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone, has anyone taking this drug experienced nausea as a side effect while taking this drug?? If so what was it like? Did it come and go throughout the day?

I am asking because I have experienced daily nausea throughout the day since starting this drug and being super dizzy as well. I am seeing my doctor this week to insist on going off of it due to these reasons. He feels that you will not have daily nausea on such a low dose (10mg) and it would not come and go. I'm hoping I am not the only one to have experienced this. Thank you

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi

I was recluctant to take this medication due to the number of side effects listed. I have read other posts of those on 10mg and are experiencing symptoms that put me off the idea entirely.

Please do challange your doctor as they are not you and your experiences should be taken seriously and acted upon.

Best wishes

• Posted

have had Amitriptyline for a few years now with no ill effect. I take it at night, just hav e a biscuit afterwards. Good Luck.

• Posted

Hi  Tiffany

My daughter was on 25mg of ami for migraine prevention. It ended up triggering a migraine and we weaned her off. She didnt have nausea on the meds but the day we weaned her off she experienced nausea ever since then. It has been 3 months now with the nausea. She says it comes on strong and then weakens through the day but never fully goes away. We've been to gastro dr and they found nothing. They insist there is something else going on but no dr can tell me what. Very frustrating. Now we are trying accupuncture.  I wish i never put her on this med.   sorry to hear about you. Hope you find answers or relief soon!!

• Posted

Hi Krista

How long was your daughter on 25mg and how long did it take to wean her off? I hate they nausea and I'm so sorry your daughter is going through this. I hope you find some answers soon. You could try an allergy test I know one lady developed some food intolerances after coming of this drug. She was on it for quite a while but might be worth a shot 😊

• Posted

Hi Tiffany,  she was on it for 6 weeks total. I followed drs orders and weaned her down a half of a pill every five days. So it took 15 days to wean her off. The amitriptyline had actually triggered her to have a migraine that lasted 5weeks and went away when i weaned her off. Unfortunately the nausea started the next day. We just started accupuncture. Today she had her second treatment. Its not a huge improvement but she does feel slighlty better. I dont think these doctors can think outside the box and will never admit that these meds can have horrible side effects. 
    • Posted

Her nausea could be withdrawals. I tried to go from 10mg to 7.5mg (after being on it 4 weeks) and experienced horrible nausea. I struggled to drink water and eat a cracker! It was awful I ended up back on 10mg and it took a few days to feel better. I am trying to get off of it again but going MUCH slower. I have also heard of people getting off the med no problem and having delayed withdrawals occur weeks later it all depends on your body. I know psychiatrists recommend reducing the amount by 10% per month to avoid withdrawal. It all depends how sensitive we are to the drug😔 this website I found explains the effects of the drug maybe it will help 😊 [b]https://www.alternativetomeds.com/antidepressant/elavil-withdrawal[b].html

• Posted

Hi Krista

How is your daughter doing??

• Posted

Hi Tiffany,

She is still having the nausea although it is bad in the morning til about 11am. She gets some relief until about 6pm and then it comes back. We do think the acupuncture is helping but she seems to be "stuck" in this spot. Her migraines have also come back and are lasting now like 7 days straight. No meds help for that either. I am just at a loss. And Drs are no help.  I hope things on your end are good. Thanks for thinking of us!

• Posted

Hmm that is weird. I am so sorry to hear your daughter is still suffering my heart goes out to both of you. I doubt it is withdrawals at this stage it has been several months. Although it is strange that it started after the amitriptyline stopped and the nausea problem did not exist before it. Maybe it's just a weird coincident bit you could contact a psychiatrist or even a counsoller they may have better understanding of amitriptyline. Have you heard of a-typical migraines or abdominal migraines (I think that is what they are called) my gastro doc told me about it. Also maybe see a naturopath to test for food allergies or perhaps get a SIBO test (small intestinal bacteria overgrowth). Have they also check her B12 levels or tested for things like Addisons??? Are you in Canada?

• Posted

Hi Tiffany. I am working with a chiropractor and he has been testing her for different things. He has narrowed it down to her vagas nerve. We beliwve that is where the problem is. He is trying different things but nothing helps completely. No one has ever moentioned the other things you brought up but i will definitely look into that. And we live in New Jersey USA. 
    • Posted

I'm glad someone is able to help 😊 I was going to say that if it is a delayed emptying issue Metoclopramide helps the stomach to empty faster and help nausea. I was given this when I came off another drug because I had such bad nausea but I ended up having a reaction to that drug. But there is a newer drug with less side effects is available now called Domperidone but I do not know if it is available in the States. I have not tried this one but my doctor said they should have tried that before metoclopramide since is has less side effects.

As for the headaches:

My friend used to get SEVERE headaches she was always on prescription meds then she saw a naturopath had her allergy test done and removed the food that she was allergic to and now she maybe has a headache once a month and can manage it with advil.

Another lady I worked with had horrid migraines she also took prescription meds but they didn't really work. Then her doc suggested botox injections and they worked totally changed her life. She barely missed work and was able to attend her kids school activities etc. She swears by it. Last time I saw her she was still doing great. Might be something to look into??

What does the chiropractor think happened to her vagus nerve?? Was it due to the amitriptyline or just coincidence or related to her Headaches?

I hope your daughter feels well again soon. I'm sure it is stressful for you both?

• Posted

Hi Tiffany,

Yes he thinks it is from the amitriptyline. But also thinks there may have been an underlying issue that the med brought out. He is running some tests now. I am starting with new neurologists for her and a new gastro dr. So hopefully we will finally get some answers. I have looked into botox but she is only 16 and they tell me she is too young for it. These pediatric drs here dont know enough about migraines in teens and adult drs wont see her til shes 18. sad   Thanks for listening and I appreciate your input!!

• Posted

I hope you get some answers soon! I'm tapering and should be off this nasty poison within a month. Horrible time taper though, such nasty withdrawals.

Yes she is young for botox for sure. Maybe an allergy test or perhaps one of the new doctors will figure it out! Hopefully soon I'm sure she wants her life back 😔 I know exactly how she feels. If I hear of anything that might be worth testing for I'll let you know. Sending you both healing thoughts?

• Posted

Hi Krista,

I hope the doctors have either solved the issue or have an idea and can start a treatment plan. I'm just wanted to send a quick note my naturopath prescribed me Zofran for when the nausea is bad. Unfortunately for withdrawal nausea it may or may not work. But perhaps it would be an option for your daughter to give her some relief until they figure something out? It is not addictive and can be stopped whenever no withdrawals unlike some other anti emetics. If it is an option just get a couple pills to see if they work for her as they are quite expensive.

Hope things improve soon😊

Tiffany

• Posted

Hi Tiffany. She did try Zofran. It didnt work for her. We are still trying to figure out whats wrong. It is sad that these doctors want to keep throwing meds at her instead of trying to find out she this is happening. She is currently having a migraine. Going on week 5 and now i am trying alternative meds to see if they work. My next step i think might be to try doctors in NYC. Hopefully i can find help and answers for her. She is missing so much school and it is hard to stay positive anymore😢    Thanks for listening. Hope you are feeling better.  

• Posted

Hi Krista,

I'm surviving, still tapering and feel like garbage somedays😔?

I'm sorry to hear there is no improvement. A 5 week migraine sounds horrible. Before the amitriptyline did your daughter have migraines that lasted this long? I have had a headache the last 2 days due to withdrawal I can't imagine a five week migraine. Have you looked into allergy tests or a naturopath? They seem to be more interested in actually solving the issue rather than putting a band aid on the symptoms. I did not think that their natural remedies could work but.. after hearing stories and seeing one myself I am convinced. Your daughter as been tested for Celiac right? Apparently you can test neg for Celiac but still have a intolerance to it which can cause headaches and tummy issues. I feel so bad for her 😔 there must be something going on that someone will figure out hopefully soon. What about the mayo clinic I have heard great things about them. Perhaps a doctor could send a referral or contact a doctor there for advice? Some days doctors make me so mad! They just don't seem bothered with figuring things out run a test or two but then at the end of the day they go home relax. They are not the ones suffering or watching their loved ones suffer. I will keep in touch if I hear anything that could possibly help or something to be tested for or looked into. Stay in touch ?if you need to vent message me anytime. I will keep you and your daughter in my thoughts. I hope things get better soon.

• Posted

Hi Tiffany. She did get migraines before the amitriptyline. Her usual ones lasted 5-7 days. The amitriptyline i was told would stop them from happening. It was after this med that they have lasted longer. I have not done allergy testing on her. No dr ever mentioned it. So that is something to look into.  I have been trying to get her into the Children's Hospital in PA. They accepted her into the program but dont have any openings yet. I did see another neurologist and they prescribed Gabapentin. I filled the script but haven't given it to her yet. We are both scared to try it.  Especially after how hard this med has been.  Hope you are feeling better soon. ??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.