nausea with an overactive thyroid.

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hi all

I`ve come to ask advice as last night I had severe nausea a few times during the night. I was retching but not actually sick!  I`m pretty sure my thyroid levels have gone over- active at the moment as I`ve got the `old ` symptoms of hyper, sweating, hungry, needing the loo a lot. I`m taking carbimazole 15 mg a day but I`ve not had a good day yet since I was diagnosed over 3 months ago and put on carbimazole. I`ve got an appointment with my endo on the 10th Sept to discuss what`s next- but in the meantime do I need to be worried about this nausea?

Many thanks 

Joy  

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi all, I'm new to this thread but thought I would share my Graves disease experiences with you. I've been diagnosed for the last 20 months or so and been on Carbimazole since then. In the early days I started to feel better, mood swings stopped, put some weight back on, the endo guy at the hospital told me I did't need to take beta blockers anymore..... but you must have another blood test which I had late last year. I heard nothing from the surgery so I went down there and a receptionist through a piece of paper at me and said " your levels are normal ". In February this year my dad became very ill with cancer and died within 7 weeks, having been told my levels were normal I stopped taking the tablets for some weeks and put everything with myself on hold to help dad die at home which is what he wanted, the day after his death I got a call from my GP saying your levels are not normal and you need to keep taking the tablets...... moral of the story is perhaps don't get fobbed off by a receptionist. Since then and mourning my dad's passing I've lost even more weight than I did before and am on tablets for depression and been off work now for 4 weeks and may lose my job. They have upped my thyroid tablets so we'll just have to see how it goes. I've never felt so low in my life, it truely is a horrible disease, wishing you all well, Steve x
    • Posted

My sincere condolences on your fathers passing.  My father died from cancer almost 10 years ago - I can't beleive it's that long already, and there isn't a day that passes that I don't think of him and wish he was here.  The stress you are under now is probably causing your symptoms to worsen.  It seems a lot of us with thyroid disease suffer from adrenal problems too and stress really affects them. Try to relax and sleep as much as possible - hopefully rest will help a little.  Wishing you all the best.
  • Posted

Nausea does appear to be a side effect of the Carbimazole as I feel sick all the time without ever being sick.

Hope you feel better soon. How did the Endo appt go?

• Posted

Thanks for your reply David, yes I discovered myself  just recently that the carbimazole causes nausea. I`m not sure if my nauseas the drugs or my sinuses clearing after too many years of smoking. The symptoms of face pain and headaches plus mucus draining are all pointing in that direction. I dunno?

I hate going to the doctors as I don`t think thay realise just how poorly our thyroid are making us, so I`m loath to go with anything else.

Anyhow, my endo appointment went well thanks, I`ve been recommended for RAI as the endo seems sure my Graves would return - and to be honest I`m relieved. As someone else said to me `I can`t be bothered to faff about with this anymore!`  lol.  I`m 63 and want my life back, not sit about and wait to see if things improve with the carbimazole!! I`m due treatment within the next 6 weeks, I signed the consent form, so I imagine I`ll just get a letter with the date and time and turn up?  

How are you coping with your Graves David and what have you had done or are having done treatment wise?  Whichever, hope you`re feeling well? 

Joy x

• Posted

I've never smoked so can't help you on that one neutral

I get the feeling the Doctors don't really understand too. Mine isn't too bad but she's not there this week i've found out today, so i'm seeing someone else.

Well, that's good you've been offered the RAI - i've not officially been offered it yet. You should get a letter or phone call at some point shortly.

I'm struggling a bit after an initial improvement. Diet is a big concern for me as read lots of conflicting information. I can't get by on Cauliflower and Cabbage lol

I'm on Carbimazole at the moment. I'm not too far out of range and my technetium scan was ok. Back to GP tomorrow to discuss work, although as mentioned, different GP and also have bloods taken ready for Endo apptmnt next Thursday, so hopefully an improvement even though I do                n't feel great.

• Posted

I hope you get on ok with the GP David.

When was yours diagnosed - mine was late May- and after 3 weeks of carbimazole, I felt much better.  I hadn`t realized just how poorly I`d got. But then I swung underactive and I struggled badly being underactive. Yes I can`t imagine existing on cauliflower and cabbage lol, but I suppose our diets will all depend where we end up after treatment, whether we`re hyper or hypo?

Good luck with your Endo next Thursday, I hope they can suggest something so you feel better.  It`s hard to explain but even though our levels are supposed to be `normal` we often still feel ill. I`m hoping the RAI puts and end to that!!  

Let me know how you get on,

Joy

• Posted

Mine was April.

I felt better initially, but now feel terrible. Hope i've not gone Hypo. I had the sore throat and the urgent blood test back in June, but all was ok.

This is why people don't understand and I guess people can't unless they have been there. Hopefully RAI works for you and it comes through soon - let us know when it does!

• Posted

Hello guys, I haven’t been diagnosed yet (my appoiment with the endo is next week) my hand a legs tremors sarted almost 3 months but they got worse after I got the flu. I went to the doctor one week ago and the doctor noticed that my thyroid was large. Besides the tremors I feel sick in general, my body weak, my muscles sore and nausea that comes and goes.  To my family this is not a surprise since my mom , sister , some aunts and some cousins suffer from thyroids too.  Please tell me I won’t feel this miserable for ever?  My mom seems doing just fine. But reading some of your comments stating that  medication doesn’t do a thing worries me. I’m 38 years old and sick sorry of feeling this way for be rest of my life 😪

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.