NEAD and blindness

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all,

My mum has been in hospital for the past 8 weeks having seizures and we have just been told there are no more tests they can do and she has to go home. I believe it's NEAD but she hasn't had a diagnosis. One question I have is that since she had the first big one that lasted 3 days she hasn't been able to see since but acts like she can see some of the time. She says it's all black but the hospital says that they eyes are fine.

Has anyone any experience with this?

Many thanks

Nina x

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

My son has nead

When his symptoms where high in the beginning and before he had a diagnosis he was admitted to hospital on one occasion as he lost his voice and when it did return he had a stutter and spoke like he was deaf

It took about four weeks before his voice returned back to normal

Has your mum been referred to a neurologist?

My son is under a great neurologist who diagnosed him with nead

He also sees a psychologist who has been brilliant and a great support to him and a great help in his recovery

• Posted

Thank you Sarah. You give me confidence. She seeing her neurologist today. I'm going to speak to the hospital about a phycologist, I just worry that she will have to wait months for an appointment.

• Posted

It took us two years of a&e visits, hospital stays, hospital appointments, tests and no end of blood tests to get the right diagnosis and a year after from then for my son to get back to a relatively normal life but it has taken some emotional and physical efforts on my sons behalf to get there

This time last year he was in a wheelchair, collapsing at least four times a day and needed someone with him at all times

He is now out of the wheelchair, no longer needs someone with him (goes out on his own again now) and has not collapsed at all in five months

We did pay for a psychologist privately as the waiting list on the

NHS is hurrendous (we would still

be waiting now)

• Posted

Sorry I got over excited there

He has been symptom free for three months not five months

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.