Neared some weight under restrictions 😬😬

Posted , 5 users are following.

As I was entering my home today, my crutch slipped and I bore weight on my ankle that has NWB for another 4 weeks. Scared the poo out of me. I felt the weight and it aches a bit. Put ice on right away when I got in and it feels okay now. Anyone else accidentally bear weight under restriction? If so, any thing I should be on the look out for and visit my orthapedic Doc? I am 8 weeks out from surgery and 10 from injury.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

We all try our best to NWB but accidents happen. I live on my own with 4 cats, one of which is diabetic and has to be injected twice daily.

They don't exactly stand there waiting for this and I had to stand one legged with the operated one stuck in the air for balance like a bad ballerina, bending right down to get the scruff of the neck to inject, so both hands occupied and balancing on one leg. (You can't write this stuff) and I'm almost 59 and not the nimblest of people... well at the crucial moment, the cat bolted and I lost my balance and had nothing but thin air to grab and quickly put my potted ankle/foot down to stop me doing a full nose dive.Boy did it hurt and this was in week 1 after the op. It was fine and no damage done... as you're 8 weeks along, you should be absolutely fine and you've done the right thing... elevate and ice.

• Posted

I have to agree with "jean" about u being okay. This forum really identifies how different the time for NWB is. I'm in US. ORIF surgery April 5th. Six, yes 6, weeks post surgery, I was released to 25% weight bearing. At 9 weeks I was released to full weight bearing. Pain may have been all those muscles having weight put on them for first time. You did the right thing with ice.

BTW. I have 2 diabetic dogs requiring insulin 2x daily. Hubby had full responsibility during my recovery. Understand having to chase one down for a shot. Deception works well. The "goodie" that isn't. LOL

• Posted

The position, if filmed, could have earned me a lot of money lol ... I'm in pain in my inner ankle area when I try to weight bear or even partial weight bear... but it's perseverance with me, as prior to my TAR, I had been fused for almost 3 years, so the nerves and tendons around that area had no movement for that length of time.

Physiotherapy has been crap, so I've been doing my own.

I've bought an infrared lamp and have been using that and manipulating/massaging the area to make them more supple and it seems to be working

• Posted

Quite frankly, ur description of trying to get that cat made me laugh.

I broke my right ankle about 20 yrs ago, and like it, I had pain on the inside of the left ankle I broke this year. Pins on the inside for both breaks. Plates and screws on the outside for both. My orthopedist said the pain on the inside was because a major nerve runs real close to that area. Fortunately it has resolved, but the outside is painful and swollen. Doc said plate and screws are close to the surface and if remains problematic, he would remove. My thinking about the swelling behind the outside ankle may be residual from a post from an external fixator I had for 3 weeks pre ORIF surgery because of swelling and fracture blisters. I felt like my PT was minimally helpful. If I had had massage as part of process like I had almost 20 years ago, I think it would feel a little better than it does now. But the clinic I was at didn't do massage although doc had checked as part of therapy. Seems they did what they wanted regardless of prescription. And some of the therapies actually aggregated arthritis in right ankle. So doing what I can.

BTW. I use my cane to move the 4 legged kids. Yeah, there's a cat in the mix. The handle is good to hook him and move him out of the way!

• Posted

Hi. I did the same thing in my cast at 6 weeks post surgery and 8 weeks post injury. Was so scared but all was fine. If pain gets worse I works suggest contacting doctor but in my case it was fine. Best of luck!!

• Posted

I'd bet you are fine. You were placed in a cast for just that reason. (No, your Ortho Doctor is not a sadist who loves to see people sqirm and fret over all the itching a cast brings.) The cast is there to immobilize and protect .your injury.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.