Nearly 10 months post op...took the bull by the horns!

Posted , 9 users are following.

Tired of feeling sorry for my loss (good balance) so took the doggie down to the beach, heel toe, heel toe, repeat, in my new Merrell walking sandals with extra great grip. Walked 40 minutes on grass and pavement and it felt mighty fine. Sure it was weird but I think I'm finally getting this. If in doubt, persevere. Happy 2017 fellow recoverers. I have no knee pain, right knee has effusion but slowly getting my life back. Good luck all.

3 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

YEAH.....Lyn.   I still at 11 months....do the heel,toe...heel toe thong.   Also, steps....up with non operated leg...then operated leg.....down with operated leg then non operated leg.   Sure beats going down the stair backwards...did that for a bit.

good luck to you,  you have to push yourself....but listen to body and go from there.

pam

• Posted

"Never give up.  Never surrender." - Tim Allen, Galaxy Quest

Kick this recovery's a$$!!!!!!

• Posted

Awesome job - way to persevere! It's truly a balancing act between activity and rest and pushing forward toward to increased activity is challenging but a very positive achievement. Pain and stiffness can also come from not being active enough so good job on taking the bull by the horns. I wish you continued positive recovery results!!  

• Posted

Well done Lynn - I love your fighting spirit - on the beach and in your Merrells as well .

Alas I've had similar experiences only to be crushed again with severe knee pain far worse than pre op and backache to boot.

I feel like the guy in The Prisoner - always thinking I've beaten this and escaped only to be back at square one the next day.

1'm 10 months and it's a long time- it only took 9 months to make me! I could be destroyed in 12 months at this rate.

• Posted

Thanks everyone, for your input. One day at a time, one foot in front of the other. xx
  • Posted

Well Done Lynn.

It's great to hear the positive attitude.

It does really work to be positive. My experience has been that 'Positivity spirals at the same speed as negativity'. Keep it going, onwards and upwards.

Take care,

Alan

• Posted

?Hi Lyn, I too am nearly 10 months but unfortunately can't walk for much more than 15 mins. still gets me down. Can work full time as sit a while walk a while, get still achey but definately improvement. Will need number 2 done this year so will be back to square one gain. Well done Lyn on your achievement. xx

• Posted

Hi sue

thanks for your comments. Time is on our side I reckon. I believe this is the most trying time, the waiting to recover. Just try to do a little exercise each day, if you can. I just went to the gym after a 4 week absence. I felt it but after a ten minute bike ride and some weights my knees are freeing up. I get up most morning and walk like a zombie but exercise restores the muscles so I need to keep on top of it. Good luck sue and do what you can to regain your mobility. Even if it is a pain in the bum! xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.