nearly 4 months post glandular fever- still feeling ill!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all,

i was diagnosed with glandular fever back in April this year after a short stay in hospital, on top of this i was also diagnosed with asthma and i have also been a type 1 diabetic for 9 years.

After 6 weeks off i went back to work as myself and my partner moved into our first rented house in march (typical!) and we were struggling financially.

My question is, how long does the fatigue and fever/illness last? i was led to believe it would be about 8 weeks but im still having days at work where i physically am dropping off, and i  have to get up and move around because i am falling asleep and really struggling to keep focused (i work as a medical secretary) and this weekend i slept practically all day and night- we attempted to walk the dog on sunday and after half an hour i couldnt hack it and slept for the rest of the day/ night.

I am really struggling here- i have to keep working but after work i just get home and sleep, wake up go to work, get home sleep etc...... and im fed up with it. on top of this i keep getting viral infections/ tonsilitus/ UTI's/ kidney infections! Is this normal? has anyone experienced the same?

Many thanks, Chloe

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Chloe,

You are still very early in the recovery process, so take it very easy, I was diagnosed in October and started feeling better six and a half months later, still have ups and downs, had a mini relapse last week but seem to be feeling better this week. My daughter has had the UTI, virial infections ect. We are all hoping to feel better soon, When you have to work through this illness, it is best to rest as soon as you are off work and on the weekends.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply Mono too-its just so frustrating, as im sure you and your daughter know! I dont feel like im living at the moment just working and sleeping! Being 19, all my friends are out and about and i feel too exhausted to do anything. I know it will get better eventually, its just mixed with my type 1 diabetes my immune system is very low. I work at a doctors practice so always seem to catch whatever bugs are going around as well!
    • Posted

Hi Chloe,

My daughter feels the same she wants to be out with friends and instead she is in bed when she is not working. A little easier for me as I am older and can work from home for the most part, but i am still frustrated and want my energy back. Best of luck to you and just remember we will recover eventually. I always find encouragement in Craig's posts, he has recovered.

• Posted

Hi Chloe,

So sorry to hear you've been feeling so unwell with glandular fever, I really do sympathise having gone through the same kind of horrible time about 10 years ago. I was the same as you, so frustrated because the doctors and so called reliable medical sites said that it should last around 4-6 weeks or 6-8 weeks, but for me it went on a while longer and just want to reassure you that this is normal. It's frustrating, and it it does cause all sorts of symptoms like the gland pain, tonsilitis, feeling run down, lacking energy, running fever,etc, but without any doubt you will get better Chloe - I thought I never would when going through it but it definitely does come. Don't panic if it doesn't come right away, it can take a few months unfortunately but you will get there.

Would definitely recommend taking some vitamin / herb supplements if you are not already doing so, a good strong multi vitamin per day can make a big difference, as well as B complex and Co-enzyme Q10 for energy levels. High doses of Vitamin C (1000mg-3000mg per day) helped me too, as did immune boosting herbs like siberian ginseng. Your body is under a lot of stress when going through the virus and these can certainly boost your immune system!

It's so hard to keep working when feeling that way, I know it might be hard to do so but if possible take time off and rest. Rest is the ultimate key, your body needs rest, a lot of people try to keep battling on and it's the kind of virus that really doesn't respond well to that and needs rest and to remove as much stress as possible (hard as it is I know!).

Main thing is I want to reassure you that you WILL get better, without any doubt, take it from me and others on the site here who went through a horrible time with it for some months but thanks to God your full health will be restored again and you will be able to put this behind you! I know that doesn't help much when going through it, but just to let you know there is hope and there is recovery, and that I'm thinking about you - all you can do is deal with one day at a time when going through it and not look too far ahead, but rest assured it will pass over given time.

Take care

Craig

• Posted

Hi Craig,

Thanks so much for your lovely words and support- i just need reasurance that it is normal and other people have been through the same. Its just odd to me how some days im okay but for the majority i feel so run down and tired. I can have a full, uninterrupted nights sleep, where im so exhausted i just sleep all the way through, and wake up more tired than i was the day before!

I am taking multivitamins, but will try and add in some more vitamin C and the ginseng you mentioned. Other people have mentioned having an energy drink part way through the day to keep me going, but unfortunantly that is not an option for me as i am a type 1 diabetic.

Thank you again,

Best wishes,

Chloe

• Posted

Hey Chloe,

It's so hard I know, definitely do want you reassure you that what you're going through is normal with the virus, and equally so it's normal to go through all this and come through the other end and make a full recovery - and that is going to happen Chloe without any doubt I believe that!! I know that doesn't help when going through it at the time though, just don't look too far ahead and deal with each day as it comes is all you can do.

Sounds like you are doing all the right things to help Chloe, it's definitely a zig-zag kind of virus, you can feel not too bad at one point and then it just hits you and totally drains you and you feel back to square one - key thing to remember is that you're not back to square one when it happens, every time you feel like you are dipping, it just means your body is getting to grips with another element of the virus and is going to help long term recovery.

Hang in there and just hoping that you can have a good day today, thinking about you, and remember it IS normal despite what doctors say about 6-8 weeks or whatever for it to go on longer unfortunately, but you WILL make a full recovery!!

Craig

• Posted

Hi, I'm in a similar boat, I was also diagnosed with glandular fever over 4 months ago and still suffer with extreme fatigue on minimal excursion, i.e. Driving, or on my feet for an hour.  I also still have swelling and an uncomfortable feeling in my groin and lower abdomen and to the base of my skull, which I'm lead to believe are still my glands swelling!!!   I have tried to go back to work twice and am now on my third attempt, with a very gentle phased return!!!!   My gp doesn't know what to do with me and I'm taking every multi vitamin under the sun along with trying different massage s to see if that will help!!!!  I will try anything!!!!!  Am so fed up, I'm normally very active, I work full time, have a family and normally cost the gym regularly which I am currently not able to do!!!!!  So I to would appreciate any advice on how to shake this and feel better.........Katy.  Xxx

• Posted

Hi Katy,

I was down with this for about 6.5 months, my advise is to rest, I drink greeen tea as an anti inflammatory and use Advil when the body aches were to much. The timeframes that the doctors give of 6-8 weeks really aren't accurate, I just had a minor relapse 10 months in, so it is important to rest even when you are feeling better, time does help.

• Posted

Hi, thank you, your words and advice is comforting to know.  It's a horrible virus, you think your over it then it reminds you that your not!!!!!!  I will give your recommendations a try.  Xxx

• Posted

Hi Katy,

So sorry you've been having such a rubbish time with glandular fever, I really do sympathise having went through it also. The virus gets you that way that you feel sometimes like there's not going to be an end, but believe me there will be. As Mono said it can take longer than the doctors will tell you, but don't panic about that because the first 4 months you've been through is by far the most intense and worst - it might still take a bit of time but don't panic because recovery will come, it's just such a nasty virus your body requires time and space to recuperate, get as much rest and stress relief as possible!

You're doing the right things by the sounds of it taking a good strong multi-vitamin, also try B complex for energy levels, an immune boosting herb like Siberian Ginseng is also good. Also higher doses of Vitamin C (1000mg to 3000mg per day) and Vitamin D can really help. I'm no expert on vitamins but just talking from my experience these can help.

And most important thing is to remember you WILL make a full recovery, even if it doesn't seem that way right now. Your body has marvellous powers of recovery, just so frustrating it takes time sometimes with this horrible virus, but you will be fully back to 100% again in time, and again don't panic if it doesn't come right away because it will come - just take it one day at a time that's all you can do when dealing with the symptoms and remember there is hope today, I believe God heals!

Take care and thinking of you

Craig

• Posted

Thanks Craig, it's good to hear there is a light at the end of the tunnel.  I know in myself I'm still not right, mouth ulcers, tired all the time and aching.......I will defo invest in some ginseng......thank you so much.  Xx

• Posted

Hey Katy,

It's so hard I know, just want to reassure that it is normal that you would still have these symptoms at this stage, I did and I know most people on the Forum here did too, so don't let anyone tell you that it's not normal that it's went on for so long or that you still feel run down or wiped out. It's normal but it's also equally normally to fully recover after this going on for so long, that will definitely happen, I truly believe that!

It's really hard to deal with not only the physical symptoms but the emotional symptoms too and the not knowing how long it will go on for or what you can do to help yourself - it's so so frustrating but it is a time factor and just being sensible, living a restful stress-free life (easier said than done I know), but also still make time to do things you enjoy like see friends, go for walks, read, watch movies or whatever brings you pleasure - key is just to manage your activity and take plenty of rest before and after anything that exerts you. A short walk each day if manageable is definitely a good thing, but of course that is only if you feel you are able to.

Take care and thinking of you.

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.