Nearly 5 weeks and incision still very scabby

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi

I will be 5 weeks on Wednesday doing ok bend not great but working on that. my incision is a little behind in healing it is one long scab,  the scab has dropped of in one or two places and it is fine underneath but the incision not looking like i thought it would after looking at others online. PT says there is now infection and district nurses was happy with it at week three but i thought it would look a little better than it does.

Has anyone else  had this problem it is slightly red in places which I think may still be the stuff they put on the leg before the op there is nothing coming from the wound.

Any advice appreciated

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

It is still healing....when you take a shower wash it off really well, a good massage on knee feels great, then I used antibiotic cream, others in here have used vitamin E oil. I have to say my surgeon did a fabulous job on thand incision, fading already and I am 6 weeks out.   The swelling behind knee is what is killing me, but pressure sleeves and ice help, they keep telling me time time time.....I am not patient.  Good luck.
  • Posted

I put vitamins e oil on mine looks really good 
  • Posted

Was going to suggest you ask your doc for some KeloCote but don't think you can use it on open wounds....sounds like the infection has held you up a bit but don't get too despondent -- it's a long haul and I am 7 months post-op but doing great now but still with a little lateral pain.....have my 2nd follow-up with surgeon on 17th.....x

• Posted

Not sure if you can see the picture but that was my knee at 10 weeks.  It was much worse at 6 weeks and the PT folks were FREAKED and told me I had an infection.  Went to the surgeon and he said no, just a reaction to the glue they used.   So don't take the PT's word for it see a doctor or the surgeon.  

• Posted

Wow...that's a curved incision! Very arty! Why is it a crescent shape?

How are you doing now and how many weeks are you?

• Posted

I am a little bit over 5 months...doing good...not great but my husband thinks I am too impatient.  The crescent shape is because he (the surgeon) told me he wanted to go over my existing scar....I had two earlier surgeries (1980) that happened and they did that shape.   But he also told me that was the problem with my scar recovery because he was opening up old scar tissue.  
    • Posted

And Jenny90029, I have to tell you again, thank you for your posts...I have read most of them and they still help me...this is a tough surgery.  
    • Posted

Thank you...it's good that good things can come out of life's difficult experiences. Much appreciated. Thats interesting about your scar!

Yes, it is tough. Yet even at 15 months post op, more improvements happen. I have had increase in strength which has helped with walking down stairs a lot.

The good news is that as the time goes by the improvements do increase in pace too....

And I look back now and the time which seemed so long seems like nothing at all,

So I guess it's a matter of looking forward to the time you can look back!

Sending good wishes your way!

• Posted

Oh, and BTW I was told DO NOT PUT ANYTHING on the incision...that could cause an infection...and no baths/pool.   
    • Posted

Hi Mat

Thank you for replying my post I meant to say that my physio thought there was no infection sorry about that.

Mine looks a lot like yours but with dried up scabs that will not drop off and the skin around them a little red but not feeling any more sore than you would exspect just  uncomfortable when you try to bend as you can feel them pulling. I would not put anything on it until it has healed thanks. I think I will let my GP have a look to make sure. Good luck with yours hopefully this time next month we both feeling better.

Thank you for everyones replies it a big help.

• Posted

It’s a shame you can’t post photos here I’m at almost exact same stage and you could compare. Mine has had virtually no ‘scab’ from point dressing removed about 2 weeks ago and is very clean fiat and closely healed. 
  • Posted

How do you put photo on? 
    • Posted

When you go to reply to a message there are four boxes on top of the text box...First one is a B for bold type and the last one is for uploading a picture.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.