Nearly certain I have a brain tumor

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am 50-yr old male in relatively decent shape who stays busy with work and family activities. About a month and a half ago, I started experiencing headaches (little lightening strikes all over my head in different places) daily, some funny feelings in my head on occasion (like my brain was "flipping"wink, and most noteably, lightheadedness and dizziness.  The lightheadedness has gotten worse and it's almost as if my brain feels like it's burning at times. I thought it might be stress and the conditions hadn't really worsened until today when I made a 6-hour drive, arriving in an area with much higher altitude/elevation than my hometown. All my symptoms were  exacerbated during the latter part of the drive with my having to lie down immediately due to the lightheadedness and lack of focus. Other symptoms include fatigue and heavy-feeling limbs.

I saw the doctor just prior to the trip who said it could be due to stress and elevated blood pressure but scheduled a MRI next week (which I am grateful for).

Does this sound like this could be anything other than brain lesion?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

As someone who knows about brain tumours, from having one, I know it is a rare cancer but a very serious one. There are two men who get it to every woman.Your headaches are only one symptom of a tumour and I do not believe your description is typical of early symptoms. However I cannot say for certain and if the symptoms continue I suggest you return to your physician. I see you are having an MRI scan, this is the definitive diagnostic tool and I hope it allays your concerns. Meanwhile in the absence of those results your doctor's suspicion of stress and hypertension remains most likely.

best wishes

• Posted

Thank you for your reply and inspiration as someone who gives back, even though obstacles have been in your path. I pray that your service ministers to others. Just your response and encouragement means much to me. 

I have not had seizures (that I know of), become unconscious, or had major loss of feeling in an extremity. My headaches concern me less than my lack of focus and light headedness. Headaches have not worsened nor are they more frequent/intense early in the day.  They seem to be all over my head, not just one area.  

• Posted

Thank you for your kind words. You obviously have a good understanding of the other symptoms of a brain tumour. Given  its rarity compared to other conditions which might give rise to these unusual headaches, I do hope the results of the MRI will give you the good news you hope for. You may know that the scan requires analysis, usually by a radiologist. It is a noisy process, much noisier than a CT scan, but you will probably have headphones to reduce the noise. Otherwise, there is no discomfort. Often the scan includes a contrast dye which is injected into the arm during the scan so part of the scan is conducted without dye and half way through, dye is injected. Often a cannula is placed in the arm before entering the scanner room. It is pretty much painless but is a small needle. The purpose of the  dye is to enhance any tumour cells. For an initial scan this may not be considered necessary but I thought it worth mentioning.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.