Nearly off Prednisolone

Posted , 12 users are following.

II was diagnosed 5 years and 1 month ago with GCA and PMR. I am now on 1/2 mg of pred a day following the wonderful dsns method. How long to I take the 1/2 mg for and do I just STOP it or do I start 0 one day 1/2 next etc and if so for how long. It just wonderful to be here at last and this forum has helped me get through it all. Thank you everyone and I hope I never have to come back (in the nicest possible way).

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Rapha, I am not there yet but plan to .5 to 0 for the full DSNS schedule. No need to rush 🙂

• Posted

I'd continue with DSNS using zero as the new dose. - even doing each step once or twice extra! Better safe ...

• Posted

Thank you Eileen will do. Do you think that now I am on half a day I could stop the Ranitidine tummy tablet?

Also since I started pred my bp rose! I was put on Ramipril and want to be off all meds (don't we all)! Do you think on half pred I could stop the bp tablet? I do have a monitor at home to keep an eye on my bp. Thank you.

• Posted

I've never taken ranitidine or the like. - lots of people don't. Taking a pred tablet with a meal is often enough, lots of people just use some yoghurt. Ranitidine should be OK to stop but don't ever do that with a PPI - they must be tapered off the same as pred or you run the risk of rebound acid production which can be really nasty.

As far as the BP meds are concerned you really need to speak to your GP about how to deal with that. Bear in mind that if your BP is OK at present, then that is in association with the tablets. It might be a different matter if you stop. Usually you'd have low BP problems if they were too much now the pred is lower.

• Posted

Thank you Eileen I take on board what you have said I'll make a gp appointment re Ramipril and discuss the pred dose with my Consultant when I see him. I will post you the results of the appts if you wish.

• Posted

hi rapha, at the risk of sounding very stupid, does being on 1/2mg Really make a difference? maybe I'm wrong, but it just seems like, what's the point?

• Posted

i have no idea!! I guess I am just a wee bit afraid after 5 years and 2 previous flare ups! Eileen would know.

• Posted

I guess whatever works for you is the correct answer then.

if tapering by half a mg. works well for you, then by all means, stick to that.

best of luck to you!

• Posted

I know people who were on 1mg a day or every second day who were doing brilliantly but when they stopped because their doctor also thought there was no point the PMR symptoms returned within a couple of months. Even a tiny bit of inflammation being created and left over each day will eventually lead to a flare - and a tiny dose of pred can be enough to prevent it. Nurses tend to be more aware of that side, After all, how many people post saying how much different a tiny reduction in dose made to them?

• Posted

i went to a quarter for a few weeks then slowly missed a day at first then a quarter then missing two days etc. like you i was afraid to upset the applecart. but listening to your body and very slowly tapering to nothing worked for me. my last bit was in June and so far so good. But fingers crossed !!!! one never knows when it can raise its ugly head again! Good luck!!!! freda.

• Posted

well done, i am at the 3 month stage and still on high doses.

personally i would stick to the system if it has worked so far.

• Posted

thanks for asking this question i am too on half and was just going to stay on it till new year xx

• Posted

I am going to stay on half to 6 December ie another 2 weeks then do a quarter for 2 weeks then one day miss quarter 6 days 2 day miss quarter 5 days etc till off. not going to rush as suggested.

• Posted

I plan to continue taper plan when I get to .5 mg. Currently at 1 mg tapering to .5 mg, and my last two tapers have taken three months each, doing each step of DSNS twice. I don't expect tapering to zero will be different, certainly not faster!

Let us know how things go.

• Posted

Anhaga, my taper from 3 to 2.5 has had more stops and restarts than any of my other tapes. For me tapering at lower doses is more difficult. Staying positive, but not act today too cold and windy, bit of snow last night with more predicTed, skiing soon! ⛷🙂🙂

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.