Nearly there!

Posted , 7 users are following.

operation on Tuesday. Not going to lie so scared after reading people's problems. But trying so very hard to remain positive. Got all my bits and bobs ready.  Arrgghhhh

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Im.sure you will be fine im.1 week post pp.go see dr today bord out of my mind but cant really do much but lay around with my foot elevated when I'm in bed I feel really no pain at all that's when I get up and move around too much how to get that throbbing pain long recovery but will be well worth it in the end
    • Posted

Thank you Rebecca, I'm hoping all goes well. Keep us posted on your recovery please x glad you've not much pain! Brilliant x
  • Posted

Don't be scared. Firstly remember this forum is for people who want to share and we're all here to support you through - the issues raised on here are mostly perfectly normal worries and concerns which sound awful when you read them all together, but each individual would only have one or two concerns and thats all they are CONCERNS. Not things going wrong. 

I did the same as you and read the forum before going in for the op and wish I hadn't  especially as every op is different and you cant relate to any of the posts until you know what you're dealing with.

The most important thing to do in your first two weeks is keep your foot elevated at all times - boring, but essential to a quicker recovery. The great tip I picked up from this forum is to stuff some big cushions or even a rolled up piece of carpet and stuff it underthe bottom of the matress, so Its much easier to keep you foot up at all times. Good luck and keep us posted. : )

• Posted

Don't worry everyone is different. Make sure you are prepared with snacks. You might not feel like eating at first. Have plenty of boxsets to watch, books to read and things to do with your hands. I have weights I have been using recently, which has made me feel better.

Elevate your feet as much as possible after the operation, however if you feel like getting up do it. Don't put it off.

I wish you all the best x

• Posted

Thanks Lisa. It's the thought of waking up and being in agony that's worrying me more than anything I think. I need to calm down lol
    • Posted

Ask your dr about a ankel block you will be home and in bed before pain starts take your first dose of pain meds when you start to feel tinngleing in your toes
    • Posted

Try not too worry. You will want to take your pain killers every 4 hours at first and eventually you will not need them as often or at all.
  • Posted

Good luck - keep in touch.  
    • Posted

No Rae - I am behind you - July 16th is my op date.  You will be well on the way to looking forward ..... Good luck.
  • Posted

Rae, I had my lapidus bunionectomy on May 26th! I was scared too, about what kind of pain I might have. I am formerly an RN so I just resolved to take the max amount of pain med allowed for the first 72 hours and sleep and eat--my plan worked wonderfully. When I got out of surgery my dr. had numbed my leg from the knee down. I felt nothing in the leg for at least 10 hours. I began taking Percocet at 10 hours post op and was all fixed up on the couch with plenty of pillows, a side table with water, my iphone, books, tissue, note pad, laptop, pencils ect. My helper (dear husband) was ready to wait on me hand and foot for the first 72 hours post-op. I have a knee-scooter that I use to get to the bathroom and back to my place on the couch. I never put my foot down the first few days, I would always sit on the toilet and prop it up on the scooter, I never had the throbbing pain some talk about. I kept an ice-pack, wrapped in a tea towel, under my knee, with my foot propped up for the first week almost constantly. I know I kept it there for the first 72 hours for sure. I thought I might get frost-bite, but no, that never happened! I have been pain free! I took 2 percocet  every four hours until I had 5 out of 50 left--can't do the math now--but it was at least 3 days. I also had my husband get me some anti-emetic (taken by people who get sea-sick) just in case the Percocet made me feel nauseous. I took it a couple of times, but it didn't seem to be necessary--I always took my percocet with food and a 16 oz glass of water. I ate just soups and salads also (to ward off any constipation caused by the pain pills.) I have been pain free except for about 1 hour in the first few days when I must have slept through one of my pain pill dosages?? I set my phone alarm for 10am 2pm 10pm 2am so I wouldn't miss but I don't know what happened. My first Dr. appt. was one week I had a soft wrap with a splint. There was very little swelling, almost none. I was off all pain meds--haven't had to take any since I got down to the 5 left. I have instructions to stay non-weight bearing for 6 weeks. I use my scooter and get around the house for food, laundry, dishes, etc. Then  I get back to my couch spot with my foot up again. I am working on my 3rd week post-op,the Dr. took the stitches out at 2 weeks and put a hard cast on.  Boredom is the enemy now. I have no pain, just can't get around easily for awhile. My Dr. won't do my other foot until after 12 weeks, so I am going to be at this for a while! I am 55 years old, and in excellent health (other than these bunions!) I am also a person who eats very healthy (organic and all that). Hope that helps!
  • Posted

Hi Rae. Wishing you all the best for you op on Tuesday., stay well. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.