Nearly three weeks since a complete hysterectomy.

Posted , 4 users are following.

its been nearly 3 weeks since a complete hysterectomy, ive had a incision infection and an internal infection. Despite this i feel great within myself. However i could sleep for up to 15-17 hours a day, if i dont force myself to move around. Is this normal or am i expecting too much of myself.

Any advice would be appreciated x

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

hi lisa

you are very early days yet and tiredness is very normal. it can take yiur body up to 6mths to feel normal again.

yiur body has gone through a lot of surgery so now you need to be a little patient and rest as much as you can.

everyone is different in recovery after hysterectomy. I had a vaginal hysterectomy 2 years ago now and I dud nothing but rest for 6 weeks. I had a very smooth recovery without any issues at all.

good luckxx

• Posted

Hi Lisa

sounds like you've had quite a time of. I had my TAH at the end of August. Although I was burned during cutting my incision healed very well with the help of iodine patches. I was very lucky.

I too, even now seem to need a lot of sleep. I have gone from getting through the day having 4 or 5 hours to needing double that and I don't know why.It must be the body's way of healing.

I am still very swollen even though I'm watching calories but I've taken up swimming when I can with work commitments. I've been told it can take up to 18 months or more before everything settles down.

Your body has been through a great ordeal. Light exercise like walking is good for you but rest when you need to and don't be too hard on yourself.

• Posted

Thank you. I feel well enough to go back to work, although i wont until my GP clears me as i work in a pharmacy and im on my feet for 8 hours. I'm so used to being able to wake up at 7am that im concerned that i now sleep until 11am plus a couple of sleeps during the day if i have no company.

• Posted

Hi Lisa

Thank goodness its not only me. I have only just gone back to work but in a new job. I was made redundant just before my op date came through so ive had the stress of finding new employment as well as recovering.

I too have been sleeping until 11am. My husband goes mad and thinks I'm just being lazy but I'm genuinely fast over. I dont know how I'm going to cope having to get up at 5am every day, I'm still wide awake now and stressing. I'm hoping now I'm starting back at work that I will get proper sleeping patterns back. I'm not holding up much hope as I generally sleep for a couple of hours and then wake up at three but fall asleep just before the alarm clock goes off.

• Posted

hi michelle,

hopefully its as you say and just needing to get back into a normal routine. Tomorow will be first test as i usually wake up to make sure my son gets up for college ( typical teenager)

Thank you so much for your advice, fingers crossed for you getting up at 5am xx

• Posted

I have had several surgeries including a cervical spine fusion. I had a total hysterectomy and then within a year I had both Ovaries out. the hysterectomy and oophorectomy were the most exhausting of anything I have ever had done. I'd say even more than after my csection and that had complications and a new baby. your body is healing. it needs rest. walking and being ambulatory are very important but so is the rest. you are definetly not expecting to much of yourself❤

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.