Necessary uterine biopsy--or anxiety driving doctor shopping?

Posted , 11 users are following.

I have 2 GYNs because I never can trust anyone in the medical profession, and as many of you ladies know, medical providers can be less than helpful during peri. . I have been having some irregular bleeding for the past 5 weeks. I had 3 periods in August, one that started on the first, the second on the 14th and the third on the 30th. I had a small spot of blood yesterday. Up until now my period was still pretty regular at about 30 days.

So I called my first GYN. She had lost interest in me in July after I told her the prozac wasn't helping the peri brain fog. But she gave me my pelvic exam this May and everything was fine. Her nurse said not to worry and, that at nearly 53, irregular bleeding was to be expected. Only that if the bleeding was ever very heavy to call back.

Well, my health anxiety wouldn't let go. I have a friend who had stage 2 uterine cancer and all I could think of was her. So I called GYN 2. I haven't been in to see him in about a year and half. And his nurse said to come in for a pelvic exam and likely uterine biopsy as well. I go on Friday the 13th. 😉 I've had this procedure before, so I know what to expect in practice. But that isn't calming me down.

My question is--do you ever feel like health anxiety drives you to seek over-treatment? Or seek a practitioner that feeds the anxious googling you've done? Today, as I hyperventilated and planned my funeral I thought "maybe I should have believed Dr. #1's nurse instead of seeking out an opinion that validated my anxiety."

What do you think?

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

how did it go on the 13th? I had a biopsy and it came back benign. while I'm grateful, I'm still having terrible abdominal and back pain.Went to urologist just to be sure. Everything came out fine. Not sure what to do now

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.