Neck Agony

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi there,

I'm in need of some advice.. around 3.5 years ago I suffered a trapped nerve, neck locked in 2 places; it was without doubt the most horrific pain and life debilitating experience, it lasted the best part of a year, affecting my hands legs and speech. I was just told to take pain killers ibuprofen and to stretch, the rest was time. Since then it has recurred 5/6 times, thankfully never as bad as the initial time but it's really getting me down. 3 days ago it started with the same burning/ pinching feeling in my shoulder blade, down my right arm and in the side of my wrist. I barely sleep as every movement is so painful. I once waited 6 months to see an NHS physiotherapist only for 15 min appointments showing me stretches printed from the internet.

I'm 33, healthy and fit. I'm concerned about why this is happening and that lasting damage might be being caused? If anyone has any experience or knowledge about this I would greatly appreciate any advice.

Thank you!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Were you given a nerve conduction test? I have neuropathic injuries and on occasion I take painkillers which only reduce the pain very slightly. In the main, I ignore the pain, tingling and numbness because there isn't much that can be done. I was offered low dose antidepressants but I decided to do without them to avoid side effects.

• Posted

I have had a neck problem off and on but since 2017 it was worse. My arms and legs are weak. I get nerves shooting in my spine, arms. I had an mri in 2018 showing stenosis in my neck yet my doctor did not tell me of this. She told me i was imagining my condition. A year later a new doctor told me of it. I am getting worse and am having another mri this week. I can never gain strength in my arms, legs or spine. I cannot lift much weight. Nerves constantly spazzing down my neck. I live in CANADA our health care is poor. Long waits for tests. physio expensive.

Since you are young you have muscle strength dont give up. Chiropractors helped me when i was younger. Not sure if they are in Uk. Plus warm water pool therapy. Good luck.

• Posted

I have poor muscle strength because of neuropathy. Heat really helps but unfortunately chiropractic treatment made me significantly worse, left me with nine months of symptoms and led to IBS.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.