Neck+back+knee pain - unclear

Posted , 3 users are following.

For almost 1.5 years I have pain in the left side of my neck, middle right back and left knee. It seems like they are all connected because when one hurts more, so do the others. Have been to an orthopedist (had some x-rays), two physiotherapists and other therapist. Also had special inner soles made based on an assumption that the problem results from uneven posture. Tried different excercises I was suggested, walking, etc., tried taking magnesium for a short while, but no one seems to be able to give me a proper explanation of what's causing the pain and the situation persists no matter what. Has anyone here experienced something similar? Thanks!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I had a similar problem and Dr. said it was sciatica caused by pressure on a nerve. Told me to lose weight....I dropped 14lbs and it went away.  I now weigh 155lbs and I feel much better, it went away. I am 5 foot 7
    • Posted

Well that is great to hear, 22 lbs is quite a bit.  My doctor said 15%  reduction in weight was my goal. So whatever you weighed before this minus those 22lbs  would be your percentage lost.  I suggest you get your primary doctor to explain what the exact name of condition they are treating you for or if he could tell you why they are related. I would think that is something involving the nervous system or pulomary system as these are not connected by any other of the bodies major sytems. From what you are saying, it sounds like nerve pain. I had a nerve that was being compressed, and it affected me from neck down to the leg and in my lower back. The actual nerve was near my ankle. So who knows....I would ask DR to explain it or to send you for more tests...a neutrologist perhaps? That is who found my problem and the testing was not too bad or painful.  Good luck!
  • Posted

How old are you and has anyone taken any X-rays of any of this? And if they did did they see anything in the X-ray? I'm kind of guessing not since they haven't come up with anything. Also does your jaw hurt or do you grind your teeth at night?

• Posted

I'm 42 years old. Had knee x-Ray and ultrasound, nothing found. Had middle and lower back x-rays, nothing officially found but the physiotherapist I go to who is very experienced says there is some slight movement in the back of two vertebrates but said it's nothing serious. Jaw doesn't hurt and don't grind my teeth.

• Posted

I would think that your next step would be to go see an orthopedic surgeon or a neurologist. I know you said you saw an orthopedist but all he did was a flat x-ray and saw nothing but I think an MRI of your lower back and knee is going to be more appropriate in this case. And an MRI will pick up things that a flat x-ray will not pick up. Such as nerve impingement that would cause neuropathy. Which would explain pain in your knee. On the other hand each one of these sites on your body could be unrelated and each one of them could be osteoarthritis. You are a little young for that to be causing you problems already but it is possible. If you're overweight osteoarthritis is a very real possibility particularly in the knee and back.

I wish you luck on this search for pain relief. Sometimes relief from pain and the solution to the problem can be very elusive.

• Posted

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate your feedback and support. Have already scheduled a meeting with my GP to discuss further options. Thanks!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.