Neck clicking

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I am 14 years old and every time I tilt my neck from one side to another, I mostly hear very loud clicking sounds/cracking sounds. My neck is not that stiff, but I do have to keep clicking it to loosen it. I also have the Same problem with my shoulders, every time I roll them around, I can hear my bones really loudly and clicking sounds. Why could this be , any suggestions? My mum said It is because I carry around a really heavy school bag?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Joe

I must admit, I was surprised to see someone of your age needing to use this site, anyhow, It could be that your bones are still growing and this is just the result of it. Do you get any pain that lasts?

Is your movement restricted in any way?

If you are at all worried, I would suggest to your mum to see your GP to see what they think, after all, that's what they are there for.

I'll wait to hear back from you and best wishes.

Kev  (UK)  cheesygrin

• Posted

Hi Kevin,

thanks for the reply, I get a little pain in certain positions that I place my neck and this can sometimes restrict my movement. My shoulders feel like they are pushed forward, and this is why I have problems with my neck

• Posted

Sorry I meant to say I think this is why I have problems with my neck
    • Posted

Hi Joe

In that case, make an appointment to see your doctor.

Let us know how you get on and best wishes to you.

Kev  (UK)  smile

• Posted

Thanks a lot,

for the quick responses you have been really helpful, will let you know how I got on at the doctors

Kind regards,

Joe

• Posted

Wow your young for this to be happening. First definitely go to the Drs like Kevin said but also definitely start doing some stretching excercises. I'm guessing at 14yrs you are hunched over a school desk all day, head down looking at your phone a lot and probably slouched if you game as well as my son is constantly. If you have a 1 strap bag get a rucksack so weight is distributed evenly.

Make sure your aware of your posture all the time and avoid the head forward pose like when looking at your phone, go on you tube and look for some neck/shoulders strengthening and neck/shoulder stretching excercises. Some yoga poses are great for this and do them a few times a day.

I have a bad neck, and I wish I had taken more care of it when I was young and did more excercise to strengthen it so I avoided the problems I now have. I also would say make sure you don't sleep on your front but rather on your back or of your on your side make sure your pillow provides enough support to keep your neck neutral.

Definitely Drs first though to rule out any injury.

Good luck

• Posted

Thanks a lot for the response, will definitely take your advice on board

Kind regards,

Joe

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.