Neck cracking.. Cause of stroke?

Posted , 8 users are following.

So I'm a person that regularly cracks their neck out of habit. Usually just tilting my head or gently taking my chin and moving my head to the side. Probably not the best habit but habits are hard to break lol. I used to see a chiropractor but would never let them adjust my neck because of horror stories I've read about people having strokes afterward.

So I worry now that me cracking my neck will cause one even though all the information I've found states that it's very very rare especially without any other risk factors for stroke (which I do not have)

So, does anyone else crack their neck? lol am I crazy for being this worried?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Many people vrack their bines and neck. Its sounds gross but so many live it.  Unless someone is hrabbing it and twisting it hard i think its all fine. Dont believ everything you hear or read. A science teacher ince asked us what haooens if you swallow gum and i stuoiditly raised my hand and said it sticks to your heart. Other kids agreed and the teacher kaughed. She debunked that myth as she wanted to  proove the stupid thing we hear or are told are nonsense. Thats nonsense. So you are fine.
    • Posted

Yeah I know it would be a very slim to none chance but you know good ol anxiety likes to mess with you lol. And I'm so used to doing it I just do it out of habit not even consciously lol

• Posted

Show the chiropractor how you crack your neck.
    • Posted

What you do is probably minor compared to the heavy handed chiropractor
    • Posted

Oh it definitely is. Like I said I'll just gently twist my head but it's become a bad habit since I started my new job it's a lot of standing and moving around and stuff and my muscles and stuff get really sore

• Posted

I think if your over 70  it might increase the risk but I suspect your not smile so I don't think a stroke is a significant risk. There is a potential risk that this sort of movement in the joints in your neck might increase the risk of arthritic changes in your neck as you get older, simply through wear and tear. I've had similar problems with other joints and was told to try very hard, to break the habit. It might also loosen the ligaments supporting the spine, but to be honest no one has shown an association with any long term damage. Getting the joints of the spine to crack sounds dramatic and convinces people that chiropractors are doing something useful, they are not its a pointless trick, if they do anything it is because of massage and the gentle mobilisation of the joints. I would at least try to reduce doing it as it might cause problems in the long term, but no one is sure.

• Posted

I had a stroke from cracking my neck. It is something that no one should do.  The doctors in the hospital told me that I had a vertebral artery dissection,  which is kind of when an artery in your neck gets clogged by one of your veins breaking a little bit.  I was able to walk away from the stroke relatively unharmed, but I still have limited function in my right hand.  I am about three months out from my stroke, and as a young college student this has been hard to deal with.  I would strongly advise against cracking your neck, because the risk of stroke is there.
    • Posted

I found this site because i 1) began having the worst headaches of my life a few days ago--a burning, throbbing in the back left side of my head. It basically dropped me to the ground whenever it started, and 2) i have been cracking my neck compulsively, numerous times a day, for over 20 years. I am 38 and was diagnosed with high blood pressure when i was 25 (genetic). So i'm already really worried about a stroke. I drink too much. I smoke too much. And now these crippling headaches. I guess i need to see a doctor asap. Thanks for letting me know that a stroke is a very real possibility. I will break this neck-cracking habit!

• Posted

Oh no! You should go to the doctor asap! They say that brain aneurysms can cause you to drop to your knees in pain. I have been researching them lately because of my headaches and it says that the pain from an aneurysm is much different than any headache you have experienced. I found that it says it's a sudden pain and it doesn't stop. I am praying for you and I hope that you get this checked out soon.

• Posted

How did you crack you neck.. I feel like I'm constantly cranking my head without using my hands but my neck is usually already cracked... what symptoms did you have up until the stroke? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.