Neck Cracking Stoke worry

Posted , 4 users are following.

I just did some stretches to relieve tension in my upper back. I then moved my neck fairly quickly (right ear to right shoulder) and felt 3 big cracks down the left side.

Dr google then said that neck cracking causes strokes and there was an article of someone who had a stroke from jerking her neck. I'm no worried and can not sleep for fear I'll have a stroke in my sleep.!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

DR GOOGLE gives worst case scenario is for everything! They don’t tell you what the most common reasons are for different symptoms. Don’t Google it will just make you worry for nothing. My neck has been cracking for 30 years! I never had a stroke. The most common reasons for cracking is:

The escape of gas,

arthritis which I doubt you have,

and normal movement.

There’s fluid in the joints that help the bones and tissue move together and there can also be a release of gas which makes a popping or cracking sound. it is nothing serious. Perhaps you could do some gentle stretching exercises. You are not going to have a stroke! The sounds are very common. Take care.

• Posted

Dr Google is bad. Dr Google bases it's diagnosis on algorithms and not facts. I've known several people have cracking necks for years and they're all fine. My neck crackles too.

If you get it regularly see a Chiropractor otherwise don't worry x

• Posted

I have terrible sand noises in my neck when I turn it and headaches with it but I have cervical spine osteoarthritis. Dont google or do stretches for a while, done incorectly you can pull muscles and cause pain. Dont google either I swear google sponsors the worst outcome for us all. Crepitus causing cracking noises also. We all get degeneration of joints and dont have to be old either.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.