Neck muscles constant tension

Posted , 2 users are following.

It is nearlytwo years since the muscles in my neck and shoulders went into severe spasm and basically, remained that way. Physio and massage would only relieve if for a few days. Then it got to a point where nothing would help. My eyes and forehead were tight, ears felt block, I was dizzy, couldnt walk for long, muscles ached.

I have tried physio, remedial massage, acupuncture, chiropractor, still doing yoga (15 months now) and nothing, has helped.

I did feel some relief when I stopped all treatment, I felt like neck could not longer handle anyone touching it.

Ive started physio again and starting to feel worse. I dont know which way to turn.

I do have a mild scoliois at T8/ to T15 and L3/L4 bulding discs and degenerating discs in cervical, thoracis and lumbar spine. But nothing that would be causing such severe pain. Brain MRI was clear, so basically, doctors are telling me there is nothing wrong, but my muscles are in a constant state of tension and I am always dizzy with tight forehead. Any suggestions, greatly appreciated

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Just wondering if you have any prior history of muscle cramps or "exercise intolerance". In the remote chance that this was a McArde Disease contracture in your neck, the work that you have done on it may have kept it in that state all this time. A simple blood test for Creatine Kinase (CK or CPK) would be worth doing. If it shows the level being well over the normal maximum that would indfcaye a muscle problem (one of which would be McArdle's) that would be worth further investigation. If you want to read about McArdle's try the Type V section of the AGSD-UK web site. https://www.agsd.org.uk/

• Posted

This muscles tension has happened before over a the last 10 years, but it only ever lasted for 2-3 days and then I would be fine.

Definitely will look up McCardies... have never heard of it

Thankyou for your insight, much appreciated

• Posted

A few days is typical for recovery from a bad cramp with McArdle's and about a week for a full contracture. On the AGSD-UK web site, on the McArdle's page, in the column with bullet points you will find a link to an article called "Could my problems be due to McArdle Disease?". It sounds like it is well worth you reading that.
    • Posted

i read through information, on more than one site, but no, this isnt my probem. Would have been good to get an answer so soon.

I do have a visit with local GP tomorrow, so I will run it past him anyway, see what he has to say.... but reading through it all, its doubtful

Thankyou anyway, good to get some response

• Posted

Try asking for the CK blood test. If it comes back really high it will hopefully convince them that there is something going on that needs diagnosing.Good luck. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.