Neck pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

After  many weeks of neck pain my GP referred me to a spinal clinic where I have been diagnosed with Neck arthritus, arrangements are being made for me to have a programme of physio and I was told to take painkillers when the pain gets bad.Amitriptyline 10 was presribed by my GP which helps but not when the pain worsens.I assume the correct name for my condition is Cervical Spondolosis and does anybody recommend a painkiller I can ask for which will help when really needed.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

10 mg Amatryptaline is a good start to control your pain. If the pain progresses then the dose can be increased, or given with other meds as well.

I have severe cervical stenosis with spondylosis and myolepathy, agonising, grinding pain, like toothache and earache together.

My pain control now includes 40mg Amatryptaline plus Naproxen 500mg twice a day and Gabapentin 900 mg 3 times a day. However, if the pain gets really bad ,as did mine, you could eventually need a morphine pain patch worn 24/7 on your arm.

On the other hand you may find things stabilise and your present treatment will suffice.

Mike.

• Posted

Make sure you get an MRI.  Ask about a steroid injection to your neck to relieve inflammation.  It helped with my bulging neck disk pain and the injection did not hurt much at all.

Good luck

• Posted

Hi,

Always remember the pain is there for a reason.

If you had bad toothache then the offending tooth would be removed, if you had a broken bone you would let it set. Cervical problems can progress so you must take care and don't put unnessasary stress on the area until you know exactly what you are dealing with.

Mike.

• Posted

As a fellow sufferer of neck pain, and having had to have it operated on I too had a long and hard look around for a decent pillow, After numerous tries of various makes and models and prices! I now use a "Bamboo" pillow which is a bit hard so I use a very thin cooling pillow on top and find that it is really good now. No more neck aches in the morning or stiff necks that are so bad you can hardly move your head. I would really recommend you give it a try. Best of luck

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.