Neck pain

Posted , 7 users are following.

hi been on 20 mg of prednisone for  2 weeks.  Severe pain in hips arms and groin has lessened to dull ache mostly on getting up in the morning or sitting too long.  But my neck pain is still ongoing.  Both sides and back of neck painful.  Does anyone else experience this? my PMR started in neck first then spread to other parts of my body.  Concerned that maybe something else wrong with my neck?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like spasmed muscles on top of the PMR - I have that problem. Some of the back/neck pain I had originally was due to myofascial pain syndrome although that wasn't identified and given a name until a few years ago. I'd probably had MPS most of my life but the PMR just made the whole thing far worse. The MPS is playing up at present - it had nearly been sorted by massage in the physiotherapy department at the hospital but the number of sessions is limited. I'd have to pay full price for more. 

I used Bowen therapy and osteopathy as well when I lived in the UK and it kep me upright for some years even with PMR. If you can find a doctor or physiotherapist who accepts there is a difference they may be able to provide specific treatment for your neck problem.

• Posted

Thanks Eileen.  Before PMR diagnosis I went to see a chiropractor who worked on my neck, just massage and tried to work out knots.  She understands PMR so maybe should go for a few more sessions.  Expensive here too but maybe can be sorted in a short time. M
    • Posted

If the chiropractor was working on knot - that is your answer: myofascial pain syndrome.

It is more common alongside PMR and is caused by the same inflammatory substances that cause PMR. In PMR they are systemic, in MPS they are concentrated in the fascia (familar as the transparent sheet you find around muscles in a joint or poultry) or in the knots of fibres that form in the muscles. Obviously, manual mobilisation releases them - and you MAY feel as if you are flaring. It isn't, relax and drink plenty and they'll flush out!

• Posted

Thank you Eileen for this information. I also have alot of neck and back pain that consists of lumps and knots that I get some relief thru massage. This was going on long before my PMR diagnosis.
  • Posted

Since starting with my PMR symptoms I get a 'crick' in my neck. It occurs probably every 2 /3 days and if it's not one side it's the other. It's very painful and once it's started in the day it happens several times that day. ... But I keep smiling 😀

• Posted

I used to get terrible cricks, nothing to do with PMR in my case.  Started in childhood and were absolutely breathtakingly awful by the time I was in my forties. Neck exercises from a physiotherpist sorted it, and I only get them now if I neglect doing the exercises for too long.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.