Neck pain after MUA

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

I've suffered with frozen shoulder/right side, for over a period of over a year and a half, that got progressively worse. Had MUA three days ago. The right side of my neck was hurting prior to the mua. Now, it hurts even more. It feels like what a pinched or impinged nerve would feel like.

I don't have a follow up appointment, but am in physical therapy 3x weekly, in addition to home therapy, at least twice daily. I am faithfully doing my stretches, but this neck pain has me worried. Has anyone else experienced this?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Clara, I'm so sorry. I know it doesn't compare, but my neck was frozen for about 6 weeks from what was probably a pinched nerve. It was so sore. I couldn't turn it. On the days when it hurt the most I took Tylenol and Advil at the same time. One day while driving I thought, "It's not going to make it worse if I turn it." So at a light I took hold of my jaw and gently but firmly pushed it to the left past where I could turn it without force. Then I went the other way. I had enough time at the light so I repeated the movements. What a sense of relief to have this extra bit of lateral movement. The next day I repeated these moves as I was again seated at a light. I actually heard a little crunching sound, like my neck was freed up from a bad position. I don't know what to offer but commiseration. I've suffered from a frozen shoulder and eventually forced it to move, and now the neck. I guess I'm finally realizing I better be more active or things stiffen up.

All the best. You might try a bag of ice wrapped in a towel on the sore area for 15 minutes, then again a half hour later. Never put ice directly on your skin as it can cause your skin to freeze....

-Christine L

• Posted

I will certainly ask my PT about it tomorrow. I'm using an ice pack as I type, will little relief.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

• Posted

Hi Clara,

I had MUA in Jan. 2019 and i still have pain in my neck and shoulder. I attend physio and just started back at aqua two weeks ago. The pain is not as severe as it was prior to the MUA. I really think it just takes time .

My movement is improving very slowly. It is very annoying that it is going on for so long but i truly believe that it is a waiting game.

My surgeon said that he would do another MUA this month but i am not going to have it done again.

I wish you all the best with your recovery.

• Posted

Could it be that your neck muscles got used to the abnormal carriage of FS, and now they're barking from the new change? I've often wondered if, during the freezing stage of FS, some of the pain can be attributed to muscles getting fatigued and cramped from all the un-natural stress. It stands to reason that once the muscles atrophy during the long frozen stage, they have to "re-learn" proper alignment during the thawing phase, and get fatigued and spasm all over again. In your case, the "thawing phase" was pretty abrupt. I'd certainly keep an eye on pinched nerve symptoms (tingly, numb fingers), and I'd see if a massage would calm things down first. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi!

Makes perfect sense and could be a possibility.

Thank you for your input.

• Posted

Thank you for your response. I'm sorry you are going through so much pain, but am glad you are seeing positive results.

I dread physical therapy, but am looking forward to it today to present my newfound aggravated neck pain to my therapist to get his take on it.

The old adage slow and steady wins the race is proving to be true.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.