Neck pain..what could it be?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

I woke up with a really bad stiff neck 3 months ago, i couldn't turn my head in either direction but assumed i had just slept funny. Over the next week it didn't settle and the pain gradually got worse extending down my arms and into my fingers and in the very end I started feeling pain in my lower back and hips when I was walking. I assumed I could have trapped a nerve? So had two appointments for a deep tissue massage, which took the pain away elsewhere. I also invested in a pillow which helps with neck pain as I also sleep on my side. I can now turn my head as I normally would and the stiffness has mostly gone. However when I wake up in the morning or if theres even the slightest strain on my neck , for example if i lay on my side and rest my head on my hand, my neck will then completely seize up like when you have a stiff neck and i struggle to move it due to the pain, I have to stretch my neck slowly side to side for it to ease off. Does anyone have any idea what the cause of this is or if anyone has experienced anything similar?

1 like, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Edited

There is a possibility you could be grinding your teeth in your sleep without realising. I had neck pain and shoulder pain for years without realising what the problem was. It was really bad when I took antidepressant tablets and ppi tablets as bruxism can be a side effect. It wasn't until I got my jaw botoxed I realised and after a couple if days I could move my head around and sleep on my side without having pain. It didn't last very long though and I have now found out botox in your jaw can give you arthritis. I have given up antidepressants and I have cut down my nexium so I don't move my jaw so much.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.