Neck swelling up and down

Posted , 6 users are following.

Please help me. For the past 2 years my neck has been swelling up and down. I've gained around 3 stone despite having a good diet. I've been really tired despite sleep and although I was exercising I've had to stop. Around a month ago my neck swelled larger than it has ever before and ended up going to a&e where 2 separate doctors felt my neck and said my thyroid felt enlarged. They told me to go to my GP and get a scan which I had yesterday, but yesterday my neck wasn't swollen and it showed nothing. My TSH and T4 are apparently normal when I've had bloods but I'm not convinced all is well- I've measured my neck regularly at the same point and it's definitely swelling and going down. Today I've been prescribed antidepressants but how can that explain my neck? I'm also having trouble remembering words which is hard because I work in a call center. I'm not sure how much longer I can put up with this.

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

Hummmm well have you Ever been tested for hashimoto I have it most of the time you are under active but some times it can change and that can explain the neck swelling. I have neck swelling and a goiter right now I am waiting to see a ent doctor to mabie get my hole thryiod removed. You neck swelling could be your glands and that is a sight something is rong. Being tired and weight gain and foggy brain are all signs of being under active. You need to see a endo doctor as well as a ent doctor. People are fast to give people anti deperents, and most of the time you don't need them, ask you go for a referral to a endo. And Google hashimoto and see if you have the same symptoms that's all I got good luck

You will figure it out but it takes time trust me and try to stay calm. It's hard I know

Stephanie

• Posted

I've thought about hashimotos but I didn't realise there was a separate test? How did you get diagnosed if you don't mind me asking?

• Posted

I saw a thryiod spechlist the endo doctor and he did test and then told me what I have and gave me synthriod to take to help me.
    • Posted

Ok, I guess I just need to keep pushing.. they've said they'll keep doing bloods every 6 months at least

• Posted

Hi.

Have you had you calcium and PTH levels checked. I don't know if you have been tested for parathyroidism?

Regards

• Posted

Hi, calcium is 2.55 mmol/L but I don't think PTH has been tested- can that be done by bloods? My b12 and vitamin d is low if that helps

• Posted

B12 Deficiency should be treated immediately. What were your B12 and Folate test results and what were their ranges?
    • Posted

Yes PTH is a blood test. If B12 and VIT D is low, it maybe worth asking for a PTH test. Very simple test
    • Posted

How interesting that my reply was deleted because I mentioned a reference to another web site that could help Chrissy. This is obviously an advertising/marketing forum.
    • Posted

Agreed - it sometimes seems so arbitrary with no reason given mad

• Posted

B12 was 191 pg/ml so not drastically low. Folate.. I can't see on my blood work

• Posted

I was wondering what that was, can you tell me anything to Google to send me there?
    • Posted

If the laboratory uses thee same scale ranges as mine did in March this year of 187.00 – 883.00pg/ml your level at 191pg/ml is definitely low if not indicative that you are B12 Deficient and I'm somewhat surprised that your doctor, or whoever told you the test result, didn't suggest treatment.

People most at risk of B12 Deficiency are those with "autoimmune disorders (especially thyroid disorders such as Hashimoto’s thyroiditis and Grave’s disease)"

I am not a medically qualified person but I understand that "B12 is critical to the production of TSH, it is perhaps not surprising that hypothyroidism and B12 deficiency go hand in hand in many cases.

Folate or Vitamin B9 (folic acid) is essential to process B12 so if it is deemed by your doctor to treat you with B12 supplement it is important that you have a healthy Folate level.

• Posted

They just printed off a fact sheet about foods that contain b12 and sent me away- ignoring the fact that I told them I eat most of the things they suggested anyway.

That's interesting.. they've agreed to keep doing bloods every 6 months so I'll ask if Folate can be checked too.

• Posted

To me, with your healthy B12 diet sheet intake, you may well have an absorption through the stomach problem.

There may be other reasons for your low B12 and I only cited the one about the thyroid.  Here are some others - see if any apply to you.

"Vegetarians, vegans and people eating macrobiotic diets.

People aged sixty and over

People who’ve undergone any gastric and/or intestinal surgery, including bariatric surgery for weight loss purposes (Gastric bypass).

People who regularly use proton-pump- inhibitors. H2 blockers, antacids, Metformin, and related diabetes drugs, or other medications that can interfere with B12 absorption including the contaceptive pill..

People who undergo surgeries or dental procedures involving nitrous oxide, or who use the drug recreationally.

People with a history of eating disorders (anorexia or bulimia).

People with a history of alcoholism.

People with a family history of pernicious anaemia.

People diagnosed with anaemia (including iron deficiency anaemia, sickle cell anaemia and thalassaemia).

People with Crohn’s disease, irritable bowel syndrome, gluten enteropathy (celiac disease), or any other disease that cause malabsorption of nutrients.

People with autoimmune disorders (especially thyroid disorders such as Hashimoto’s thyroiditis and Grave’s disease) Type 1 diabetes, vitiligo, lupus, Addison’s disease, ulcerative colitis, infertility, acquired agammaglobulinemia, or a family history of these disorders.

Women with a history of infertility or multiple miscarriages.

Infants born to and/or breast fed by women who are symptomatic or are at risk for B12 deficiency."If you "identify" yourself with any of the above I think you would have a strong case to go back to your doctor and ask for injections of B12 at the same time checking your Folate level

I wish you well

• Posted

I use lanzoprazole for acid reflux and I've been told I have IBS (albeit with no testing) so that's interesting that b12 can be linked to those. I'll definitely go back, thank you

• Posted

Please do and don't forget to ask the doctor about your Folate level.

I realise and apologise for the fact that I have led you away from your original topic, especially as I know absolutely nothing about Thyroid problems, but what I do know is that B12 Deficiency and Thyroid are somehow linked.

• Posted

I will.

No need to apologise, you've been really helpful. Thank you for all your information.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.