Neck tenseness from anxiety causing muscle twitching?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all-

I have quite a bit of anxiety/stress lately which I carry in my neck, shoulders, and upper back. I have Coat Hanger Syndrome. The last few nights I have noticed when I lay down to go to sleep, my neck muscles seem to twitch or "pulse" from tense to not tense the entire time I'm trying to relax and go to sleep. Eventually, hours later, I am finally able to relax and go to sleep. FYI...I take Melatonin 7mg, CBD 40mg, and Soma 5mg. Anyone else deal with this? What helps?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

i don't have this specifically, but i would suggest taking epsom salt baths for the magnesium. it can relax the muscles.

• Posted

Don't know Charcey, my neck muscles get tense and hard ... very painful. Rest helps me ... only thing that does, incldg pain pills. So, are you much better after sleep? that should tell you something.

And what is Coat Hanger Syndrome? !

• Posted

HI Kris-

Thank you for your reply. It is better after sleep. Coat Hanger Syndrome is pain that occurs in areas of your neck and back that would occur in the same places you would hang a jacket- neck, shoulders, upper back.

• Posted

So Charcey, your neck pain goes across shoulders and up you Cervical Spine -- neck to head ? I've talking to some people, here, who have movement disorders -- like moving the head or mouth all the time -- involuntarily. But you call it "twitching" .

• Posted

Yeah. It might be more of a spasm, but the "spasms" aren't painful. Not sure how to describe it exactly.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.