neck tension/pressure?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Does anyone else get bad neck tension amd/or a pressure type feeling in their neck? I was doing ok for a couple of days then stupidly ate something that clearly didn't agree with me. The next morning I woke up feeling worse again and since then i've had a tightness down one side of my neck, like I've strained or overworked the muscles/tendons and its almost like a pressure feeling in my neck. Its horrible but I cant work out if its related or not.

2 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Yes, my throat gets tight. It sometimes feels life some is pressing on my throat, other times it feels like I have to burp and when it's bad it feels like I am being strangled. I really did not think it could be gerd because I rarely have any acid taste in my mouth but it turns out it is silent reflux caused by a sphincter issue. Some people have a hiatal hernia with this. Mine does not go away save for when I lay down to go to sleep. I have read for some people laying down makes it worse. I do feel a little better when I avoid carbonated beverages as I love diet cola but I have not had success at relieving it completley. Have you seen a Doctor?

• Posted

I've seen my GP several times but not an ENT yet. If the PPI's haven't sorted me out by my appointment next week (they haven't so far) they said they will probably refer me to an ENT then. That sounds just like what I have, its so frustrating. I almost feel like I need to stretch or massage out my neck but that just makes it sore! Xx

• Posted

I have been told that losing weight helps. I am horrible at dieting, but I am going to try to take off a few pounds to see if it helps. For some people even a few extra pounds can cause this. I think i might be one of those people. 

I wish you luck! I know how frustrating it is. It's been going on four months for me now. 

• Posted

Sadly the throat tightness is all part of it and can be very painful sometimes just one side of my neck. I don't think weight is the issue with the neck feeling although the text book said loose weight, don't smoke, don't eat fried food etc. I weigh in at 7st 5lb never smoked always eat healthy apart from chocolate. My problems started with an ear infection and was given anti b's which caused a sore throat. One year on seen ENT who referred me to Gastro who referred me to ENT who then referred me to Speach therapy back to Gastro who referred me to 2nd opinion on Gastro who said he can't help as my weak sphincter was not bad enough to operate and said he could refer me to ENT for the sore throat. I feel I'm just going round in circles! I've had CT scans, EM test, 24hr monitoring test, barium swallow, chest X-ray, endoscopy. Not sure where to go from here . Let us know what ENT have to say when you see them

• Posted

I just had Botox injected unto my sphincter muscle. It's fairly new. You might check to see if this could help you.

• Posted

Wow, that sounds interesting. How did they inject it? I mean through the abdomen or throat, through the skin? Sorry for the questions but that sounds better than surgery!  Please tell us more! 
    • Posted

They went down my throat---just like a scope. In and out in less than 30 minutes. There is a new article about it in the new gastro journal (so my dr tells me). That is why we tried it. It is temporary but they don't know how long it may work. But it is worth discussing. I think they have done it for people with ulcers. So why not people with excessive reflux. Although it is not as good as I hoped I think I have another issue going on. Good luck

• Posted

Hi Kay,what do you mean? They did a stretch ? Or were investigating ?

• Posted

Several months after my nissen surgery I began vomiting and my gastro Doctor said I need a stretch. He went down my throat and stretched the wrap. It worked for a while. I had a friend with bad reflux and had this stretch and all is great now and the didn't have nissen. Didn't really work for me but it was worth the try.

• Posted

Yes I get fullness feeling inside throat and outside in neck. I had an ultrasound on neck and all is ok including the thyroid. Like Macy commented my reflux is silent and I also have a hernia ( you may have one and not know it) and also find it better laying down which is strange ( I wonder if the hernia lays across in a better way and blocks the acid?) . I thinks he fullness it is a combination of acid irritating the throat and the neck fullness is hands,tubes etc filling with mucous ( body makes more to quell the acid) . Sometimes chewing an airwaves gum helps me breath better and wash the mucous down. Keep your bowels moving is also important especially if you have a hernia ( apparently about 60% of over 50's do) Good luck! 

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. Its funny you say about glands. I've had one come up when my reflux symptoms started and it hasn't gone down but it seems a little smaller when I have a few days where my symptoms ease a bit. I told the GP about it who said she didn't think that was a common reflux symptom but then equally didn't seem to want to look into it either?!

• Posted

I know...I think there are so many symptoms produced by reflux that it confuses the GP's . I tell all now and will especially if referred to consultant so that they all begin to see a common thread as there are so many threads online where people don't seem to have the answer or explanation of what is physically happening to them. It was presumed my breathing problems were asthma but the inhalers make no difference ,oxygen levels are good and peak flow metre excellent . Asthma nurse says it is not my asthma. I believe it is acid irritation and when really bad I think the hernia ( being sliding) has moved into the diaphragm causing pressure problems in the chest / then neck as well. I try to bring hernia back down by drinking a pint of warm water in the mornings and going from tiptoe down quickly ten times ( acts like making the stomach a balloon filled with water and drags hernia down) my symptoms improve with all these measures 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.