necrotic otitis externa

Posted , 2 users are following.

Odd one. Had necrotic otitis externa, full monty, into hospital, pumped full of super-strength antibiotics for five days, cured, all fine.

Couple of years down the line, pains seeming to be in the ear, but only when I eat, particularly strong foods! Thus, the conclusion to which I'm jumping (probably wrongly) is that the original OE caused some internal damage at the junction of my jaw-bone.

Opinions welcomed!

Allen

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I'm not sure what exactly you're asking here ...

If its caused bone problems and needed IV antibiotics, are you sure it was OE and not OM?

OM would account for possible complications. I had mastiodsectomy and tympanoplasty surgery just yesterday for COM which turned into sepsis of the ear infection. Whilst I had sepsis I was on IV Detol ,(Tazocin).

For you to say that its caused internal damage at a particular site have you had this confirmed by ENT via MRI?

• Posted

Hello Danny.

Not a specific question, more a point of discussion.

Yes, definitely OE - Google "Necrotizing (Malignant) External Otitis".

The condition was confirmed by scans, but my later problem is based on empirical observations, viz. my ear doesn't hurt, I eat mustard, my ear hurts!

I hope your conditions clear up soon.

Allen

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.