Need a GA for ovary and fallopian tube surgery - advice please

Posted , 3 users are following.

I understand from The Royal College of Anaestetists web site that this will be started off by a cannula, a needle in a vein, I am terrified of them and they make me hysterical, they affect me so badly physically that I usually pass out and have a fit as I am epileptic, hence my reaction to them.

Is there anyway round this?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

hi ask your doctor or the surgeon when you get there,honest i have had lots these now you hardly feel them ,but do ask ,hope this helps magssmile
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply, sadly I have a low threashold to pain and feel them acutely , my Dr is useless so I will ask the surgeon when get there
  • Posted

I am sure if you explain your anxiety they can give you something to calm you down beforehand xx
    • Posted

Just an update as asthmatic wouldn't as felt could cause problems and GA itself can/does cause depressed breathing
  • Posted

With children they will apply a  cream which numbs the area first before putting canula in you could ask about this - if it is about the pain / feeling needle going in
    • Posted

Will ask about that as is pain. Have a low pain threashold causing me to faint and a low threashold to a fit (am epileptic), when do faint, so pain=fit
    • Posted

Just an update, Would not do this as often in adults  it makes the vein more difficult to find and the procedure more distressing as often takes several attempts and can cause alot more pain
  • Posted

As you can see from my replies there was no alternative but to have me hysterical and once in do anaesthetic ASAP before could fit. Hated it
    • Posted

sorry that idea was no good, if you ever need anaesthetic again have you considered hypnotherapy to get through?  a friend of mine said that she had hypnotherapy to go in to hospital for an operation as she couldn't cope with the idea of the mask on her face as she is terribly claustrophobic.  It worked for her.  She suggested I go because I am getting anxious about op and all that it entails.  Another mutual friend also saw the hypnotherapist as she couldn't go on holiday as she was terrified of flying.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.