Need a good Vascular Surgeon (UK) for a rib resection to treat Thoracic Outlet Syndrome

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello!

I've recently been diagnosed with Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (Venous) and told I need a rib resection surgery to correct it. I'm currently seeing a vascular surgeon at my local hospital which is Royal London Hospital (located in East London, UK). The surgeon is confident he can perform the procedure. He says he has done approximately 20 of them before. But I'm very hesitant to go forward at this hospital. I've personally experienced many problems with surgeries and aftercare at Royal London in the past (I had 5 surgeries there between 2015 and now, all of which had some form of complication or mistakes which have taken a tremendous toll on my life emotionally and financially). Therefore I'm uncomfortable trusting them with another serious operation like this one considering the risks and delicate nature of the procedure.

I'd like to get a second opinion with another team at another hospital, but I don't know where to go. Can anyone recommend an excellent Vascular Surgeon in London with whom they've undergone this procedure? Any information or advice you can give me towards finding the best possible candidate would be greatly apprecaited! I would prefer to use NHS solely for the obbious financial reasons but at this point I am also willing to pay for private care if that's what it takes to get the best person for the job! 

Please help! Thank you!!!

smile

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I was in an identical situation 2 years ago and was seeing surgeons at RLH. I got the same opinion as you did (do the surgery, it should be fine...). Then I decided to get the second opinion and visited surgeons at St George's hospital. Heard very good things about them. As I don't have major symptoms apart from some occasional discomfort and I am on blood thinners I decided not to do the surgery for time being. That was the advice at St George's team. 

I had DVT in 2013 and since then no problems being on thinners (thank God). 

Let me know if I can help further. 

• Posted

Thank you for your reply! Can you tell me which surgeon you saw at St George's hospital? And this may be a silly question, but in order to change care to a different hospital, do you know if it is as simple as just calling up and making an appointment? At one point in 2016 I developed a pulmonary embolis from a PICC line put in at Royal London Hospital and ended up at the A&E at Kings Hospital because was the closest one nearby at the time. When I asked the A&E doctor if I could transfer my care from Royal London to Kings, she told me she wouldn't do it because she did not want to "mess with" something started by another doctor. 

Since then I've continued with my team at Royal London, but I don't want to and I'm unclear on if/how I can switch to another hospital. (I'm an American and my only experience with the NHS has been these 5 surgeries at Royal London over the last 2 years.)

If you can give me any more info about who you saw at St Georges and how you went about switching that would be wonderful! Thank you so much!!!

smile 

• Posted

Hi Lauren. I had my right rib and muscle removed 5 months ago in morriston hospital Swansea. It's a fair Treck from London, I personally wouldn't go with your surgeon as they've only done 20. My surgeon has done approx 180 probably more now. You need to have someone like that who really does know what there doing and has done it a good few times. Hope this helps. Any questions feel free to ask 🙂

• Posted

Thank you benny jay! That's really helpful and puts the 20 into perspective. Would you mind to send me the name and details of your surgical team? I will go wherever it takes to get this handled right smile 

• Posted

That's okay. His names mr ruddle if that's any help he's one of the main surgeons up there. Yeah you got to get it done correctly. I have to go back in to have the other side done it sucks haha. But he done my right side fantastic and no longer have that dreadful pain. I hate hospitals they really freak me out so having an op is a big deal for me. But I can happily say there was no issue having it done with him he's top notch.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.