Need advice.

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi I have all the text book symptoms of hypothyroidism, weight gain, tiredness, dull hair, dry skin for the first time in my life, libido ....non existent, crying at the top of a hat. My problem is my GP I had a test a few months back, the GP said I was border line and refused treatment. I now have chest pains most days and recently while in hospital I had 2 severe angina attacks and was prescribed GTN. The tiredness is getting worse I sit down I fall asleep. I just don't know what to do. sad 

2 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi Eve--Whoa!  That sounds very concerning to be having such profound signs of hypothyroidism. The tests are normed on the general population too, so there's no saying what YOUR normal is and how far you are from it now. Too bad that some physicians treat based on test results, not old-fashioned clinical judgment! My regular physician was more laissez-faire also, but I sought out a nurse practitioner in town who specializes in hormones--she acted quickly to address my hypothyroidism (and adrenal dysfunction), and it made a huge difference! Can you see anyone else who is more knowledgeable about "optimal" levels of thyroid hormones? If I were you, I would trust my intuition and try to find someone who would give me a trial treatment to see how I feel.  Good luck! --Suzanne
  • Posted

Hi,  It sounds like your symptoms have progressed so you may no longer be borderline. I would go back to your doctor and if you aren't happy with the answer you get, get a second opinion. 

If you get a copy of your blood test results and post them with ranges you may be able to get some hints from others on the forum. 

Chin up!

• Posted

I'm sorry you feel so poorly , Eve. My strong advice is to ask for a referral to an endocrinologist, through another G P if necessary. Your angina is a good reason to give because it's important to ensure that your thyroxine level is adequate. Life is too short to be spend it feeling unnecessarily unwell. G Ps are too fond of dismissing 'borderline ' cases. Good luck!
  • Posted

Hi Eve, I went through the same thing as you. I came out as boarder line and was dismissed by some of the doctors at my GPs office. It was only when I became the squeaky wheel, going in to drop on appointments and demanding to see an endocrinologist that I was prescribed levothyroxine.

It only took one GP to see that something wasn't right and took me at my word. I was put on the lowest dose and shortly saw a dramatic change in the depression, anxiety, and mental fog that I was in. The physical changes took a bit longer but I'm getting there!

All I can say is that, even though I know you're most likely exhausted, keep on with the GP. Change to a different one if you have to but you need to get answers!! It's not normal for you and therefore something that shouldn't be dismissed. Good luck!!!!

• Posted

Thank you all for your advice, I will try again with my GP. 
  • Posted

There are many like you who are getting little help,join a specific thyroid group there are several on facebook & you will get plenty of help & support from people with the same health problems.
  • Posted

Hi Eve, i was just a little above the normal range but had awful symptoms just like you. i couldnt thik straight, put on a stone even though i was a regular gym goer and calorie counter, my skin and hair were drying up but the worst part was the awful sapping exhaustion to the point that i felt i didnt even want to talk to anyone as that in itself was exhausting. i had a sympathetic gp who saw my distress and prescribed the lowest does of thyroxine. the dose has since increased to 50mg and my level is down to 1.8. i will never be full of energy as its not a miracle pill but at least i feel like i function like a normal human being most of the time now. a days work still has me in be for 9pm most nights but i function now!!! im still struggling trying to loose the stone i put on but have to be patient. it feels like that is the part the medication struggles to correct and maybe hypothyroid patients will find that the biggest battle but i will do my best to fight the bulge. Please persist with your doctor, i know how awful you feel and you shouldnt have to. i function better at the lowest edge of the range so you might be like me. fingers crossed for you and please let us know how you get on. we are all in this together.
  • Posted

just been to my GP and got blood test forms but my blood test appointment is not until 6 th March, so I will let you all know the outcome, I have also requested to join the hypothyroidism support group on facebook. Thank you. X
  • Posted

Hi Eve,

Try Thyroid UK on Facebook too.They've got a petition going at the moment to get more tests done in the Uk for us Thyroid sufferers.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.