Need Advice

Posted , 5 users are following.

Ok I will try to keep this short. I started experiencing right side upper abdominal discomfort. It started getting progressively worse. I started experiencing pain in my upper abdomen, lower abdomen(occasionally), sides, and back(Occasionally). Now I'm also burping constantly. I've been to the ER 3 times. They did an ultrasound and x-rays of my organs(liver, gallbladder, right side kidney, chest). Everything looks fine they say. Then I finally went and got a primary care doctor. He had me go in for an EGD. This was last friday.

I was diagnosed with Mild Gastritis, Bad Acid Reflux, and a small Hiatal hernia. Now I'm on Omeprazole and Sucraflate. This is the 3rd day now on Omeprazole and I've been on sucraflate for roughly 10 days now(since the last ER visit). I feel a little better but not great by any stretch.

Here's my problem.

My pain is constant. It almost never goes away. Gnawing sometimes. Burning for a few seconds after that. My whole mid section feels like it's being poked by needles periodically. I can only try to sleep laying straight with my head lifted slightly and try to fall asleep while trying to ignore the pain. Sleeping on my side is a no go and also my preferred sleeping position, which sucks.

My question is this: Is this normal? Why do I keep thinking my diagnoses can't cause all these symptoms. I mean how do I have pain below the belly button on both sides.

I am at my wits-end at this point. Tired of being in pain.

I'm 31 and had no issues prior to November. How did this happen?????

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

Trust me I know how baffling it is to go from healthy to chronically ill! Did they do a biopsy during endoscopy? could it be h pylori?

• Posted

Thanks for the reply!

I haven't gotten results back yet from the biopsy.

• Posted

How are your symptoms? Is this discomfort in your upper abdomen?

• Edited

I have upper abdominal discomfort too. For me, it feels like some pressure or tightness in my upper belly. It's constant and is there almost all the time. I have no idea what it could be. I've been diagnosed with GERD but I don't have regular heartburn or sore throat. I've also been diagnosed with gastritis but I don't have any other symptoms except bloating, so I'm not sure.

• Posted

I was diagnosed with acid reflux but I have no heartburn or issues with my throat. These symptoms make no sense. Like 75% of the pain is on my right side and only 25% on the left. I think something else is going on because this makes no sense.

• Posted

Hi Ivan - the symptoms sound very similar to those I have experienced myself the last 18 months - I have mild chronic gastritis, acid reflux and hiatus hernia. I also don't have the typical heartburn as your mentioned, but I do experience gnawing, burning pain and a very uncomfortable feeling of something being trapped under my left rib cage along with the acid reflux. I have had two ultrasounds and two endoscopies and the only issues they've uncovered is the above. I totally understand why you are querying this though - I too found it very difficult to get my head around all the different symptoms I was experiencing - and continue to experience on a daily basis to varying degrees. I am on Esomeprazole and other IBS meds. H pylori was ruled out on both occasions when tests were done. It's worth going back to your GP if you aren't finding the PPI effective - Esomeprazole was the third I was prescribed and seems the most effective for me. Good luck with the biopsy results and hope you get some relief from the symptoms soon - you have my utmost sympathy 😦 Take care.

• Posted

Hi Barbara 😃 Thanks for responding.

I am going back to see my primary care on Monday. The only reason I'm so concerned is that 75% of my pain is under my right rib cage and only about 25% in my center/left abdomen.

Did you feel like you were constantly being poked around your abdomen area? Like pins and needles? I get this on my sides and both sides of my abdomen frequently.

• Edited

Hi again - I would also say the majority of my pain is under my rib cage - which is also where I feel the gnawing and burning sensation - I also have generalise discomfort and tenderness in the abdomen region and on occasions this discomfort extends through to my back.

• Edited

I just got the results from my Biopsy: H. Pylori POSITIVE. I will try their antibiotics and see how it goes. Hopefully that's the source of my pin.

• Posted

Barbara, I truly hope your pain goes away and never returns. Anyone suffering with abdominal pain has my utmost respect and sympathy. The last 3+Months have been hell on earth for me. I cant imagine people dealing with this for years. You are my heroes and reading everyones struggles on this forum has made me feel like I'm not alone or that I am going crazy.

• Posted

ivan im so happy you have got the answers you needed and can now start healing. good luck on the antibiotics! oh and how was the endoscopy?! im so scared

• Posted

Hopefully the pain is being caused by H.Pylori. The endoscopy wasn't bad, only takes 20 minutes and I was out for it. You'll be fine.

• Posted

Did you ever have issues with nausea? I seem to eat food fine with occasional burning in my upper abdomen. I've read people talking about severe nausea or pain after eating but it's not that bad for me. I just have constant upper abdominal discomfort along with lots of burping. Heartburn and occasional pain in sides/back too. My discomfort can turn to be gnawing sometimes but other times, it's a general discomfort or pressure in my upper belly. Does this sound familiar?

• Edited

No nausea. This sounds very familiar.

I was burping constantly last week. Like literally would just sit in my chair at home and burp non stop. And my side pain was constant too, dull pain in the back too. Sometimes it felt like there was a rock in my belly. Gnawing pain in upper abdomen, occasionally burning pain.

My pain since I started the antibiotic treatment and omeprzole has decreased significantly. I get pain for 10 minutes now and then it goes away for several hours and then 10 minutes of pain again and so it goes. The side effects aren't pleasant though. I'm 4 days in. 10 more to go and then I will get off the omeprazole slowly. Hate this pill.

I should add no more burping either and I have actually been able to sleep the last two days without pain.

Have you been tested for H.Pylori?

• Posted

It sounds similar to mine. I have constant dull ache/pressure too. Yes I was tested for h pylori but I was on strong dose of PPI's that time and it can cause false negatives. So I'm planning to get checked again after not taking my pantoprazole for two or three weeks. Hopefully it'll work out. Thank you for replying!

• Posted

Yes, def get tested again. The antibiotics work. Today was the first day in over 3 months where I felt no pain. I hope to hear that you're on the road to recovery soon!!!

• Posted

Thank you so much. I'll definitely look into it again soon!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.