need advice, 9 weeks on lexapro, still depressed/brain fog

Posted , 3 users are following.

So I originally took Prozac for anxiety/Depression/brainfog. Went from 20-40mg and after 12 weeks, no change. Started taking Lexapro 20mg..It's been 9 weeks and it only has made me about 25% better? Honestly what do I do next? Do i stick with it? Do I try something else? If yes what should I try? What has worked for you? blahhhh

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,

I too have struggled with weight and sensitivity. I even had a stomach ulser from a previous Anti depressant so am very wary of which one I'm on. I also have to be on one because of crippling anxiety and panic attacks that go on for weeks.

I was on Mirtazapine for the last 6 years as this was the kindest to the stomach and allowed the ulser to heal. Because it was wearing out and I needed to go up a dose which would have increased the already 40 odd pound weight gain, they swapped me to Lexapro. I am into the 3 months on it. It has been a battle and because i wasn't tappered at all, just switched cold turkey, I didn't know whether my symptoms were the Lexapro or the Mirt withdrawals.Probably a combination of both. The doc said I could change to Setraline but I was worried I'd get another round of symptoms to battle with. I have lost 25 odd pounds since coming off the Mirt. But seem to have stalemated on this now. Fingers crossed I can loss the rest or at least not gain again.

It is extreamly frustrating to diet/excersise and not be able to budge any weight. Feels hopeless at times. I am on 10mg of Lexapro but the Doc wanted me to take 20mg. I resisted this as I have no where to go if I need to up the dose. It has taken this whole 3 months to get to this point where I feel I can do most things again. Lexapro gives you a totally different feeling to the other anti depressants I found and many times I thought I would never feel half normal again. Some people have no worries and love it.

All you can do is try I guess. I know its a massive decision and hopefully, on here you can find the answers to any questions you have.

I know it helped me because the Docs tell you nothing and look confused when you explain the symptoms yet I'm possitive they know. Please feel free to ask me anything.

• Posted

Hi Gina I wonder if you can help me I was on escitralpram for 7 weeks tried to go back to work but crashed doc changed me to mirtrazine 15 mg 2 weeks then upped it to 30 mg I am on day 12 of 30 mg but am up and down like a yo yo with my low mood .did not sleep well last night on and off is it still early days 
    • Posted

Hi Dawn,

I think you are probably going up and down still from the change over. I'm about 10weeks in from changing and still have bad days but I think they are getting less often. I remember having a lot of trouble starting Mirt and probably would have given up if I hadn't googled the symptoms. I think you need at least a month before things settle down. I did find after taking Mirt I would fall asleep for an hour and then wake up. I was on 30mg too. Some people seem to have no symptoms at all while others have lots. I must admit that I feel totally different on escitazapram than Mirt. I'd rather be on Mirt still but it had lost its effect after 6 years.

Changing/ starting isn't easy and waiting til they kick in can seem like forever. I'd give yourself another couple of weeks and see how your going then.

Some of your symptoms could be from stopping escitazapram too. Even though the Docs seem to think one will just take over from the other, I had terrible trouble so that couple be the sleeping issues. I'm having trouble sleeping on escitazapram.

I hope this is of some help.

Gina

• Posted

Thankyou for replying Gina it was because I had not slept since Christmas why the doctor changed me however he did say he was sorry that I had held out such hope for the escitralpram to work I did say that I had read they take anything up to three months plus to work but he felt they were not for me.i would dearly have loved them to have as many people friends are doing well on them.I know I must accept it is early days but like you say it is not easy .Its the negative thoughts and the I would be better off dead than the pain of going through this that is dipilitating .Somedays I have not slept well on mirtalzine is that also common  mostly when I feel low mood .like last night YUK ,thank goodness for this forum where we can speak honestly without upsetting our families that do not understand the depth of our despair.sorry Gina I sound so black but Thankyou so much for your experiences so grateful x

• Posted

Sorry Gina I can see I have repeated myself and you have given me the answer .fuzzy or what xx
    • Posted

No worries Dawn,

I can sympathize with you there. Each day seems to go on forever when your like this.

I still think it is the escitazapram withdrawal that is causing the sleep deprivation because I was told they give people Mirt to help them sleep and it did knock me out. Since I've changed onto escitazapram I have trouble sleeping too. The doc was going to change me to Sertaline after 2 weeks on escitazapram but I didn't think I could stand another lot of side effects on top of what I had. Not sure I should have kept going with escitazapram as I'm still getting side effects that are worrying.

This is the only place I could find some info on what I was going through so I didn't think I was going crazy. It's such a lonely thing to go through as no one knows what your feeling or how to help. One thing I wish I'd done, was write a daily journal to look back on and see if there is any improvement.

Gina

• Posted

I have started to do a journal but hate putting it down on paper when having a bad day it becomes real arn t we funny ,but yes this has given me answers this forum and good to talk to you eases the loneliness a little .I seem to shrink back into myself on bad days on good I can gather the courage to go out.I have started Yoga which has helped with the breathing techniques not a lot of use when anxiety strikes though until I calm down a little.Thankyou again Gina for your reply so helpful I did not think about the withdrawal symptoms from the escitalopram.I have read some doctors give sleep aid with antidepressants not sure if they can on this one maybe someone will know sorry I can not advise.again Thankyou for your advice xxxspeak again 

• Posted

sorry Gina I forgot to ask what side effects are you getting from the escitralpram maybe I can help as I was on them for 7 weeks.? Xxxx

• Posted

I have used oxalepam quite often on Mirt Dawn and was fine. So it should be ok. I've had to use them to get through the last few months.

Yoga sounds good but like you, nothing works when your in the throes of a bad panic attack.

Gosh side effects. So many.

My brain felt fried

Brain zaps

Can't think of what I'm doing

Prickling all over

Hot flushes

Nausea

Rashes

Constipation

Burning stomach and tongue

I still get panic attacks but they are different

These are a few. A couple of times I nearly went to a&w I felt so bad.

Gina

• Posted

Hi Kenny

How are you going now?? I hope your feeling better and things are starting to work for you.

Gina

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.