Need advice getting off alcohol

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello I’m trying to quit drinking but I really need advice. I’m a binge drinker and will drink heavily for a week then take a few days off and start again. I can drink a liter of vodka in 3-4 days or take at least 10 shots a day. I never get fall down drunk and I function through all my daily duties. I am also a closet drinker and going to a detox is mostly out of the question. Right now it’s been 11 hours since my last shot. I don’t think I’ve ever had the withdrawal symptoms of shaking and tremors, but my anxiety is extremely high and my blood pressure is elevated. Should I taper off? Should I just quit cold turkey? I’ve been on this binge for 6 days now and before that I went 9 days without drinking. I hate living like this and just want to get better now. I’m ready. 

Also if I were to taper should I take a shot in the morning noon and night? Then maybe half shot for one shot the next day and so on? 

Any advice is greatly appreciated 😕

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Only thing that will cure you is The Sinclair Method!

https://www.the-sinclair-method.com/

Also, Go to https://www.cthreefoundation.org/

And read the book: The Cure for Alcoholism which discusses TSM which is taking Naltrexone + Drinking = Cure

One Little Pill documentary is incredible...must watch! available on amazon prime and go on youtube.com and search for TSM ...incredible stories. I'm on it and will be for life...I however am not yet 'cured' as that takes some time, but drinking also took much time to because a problem.

If you really are serious, it is something you really should look into!

• Posted

I would just like to point out that “only thing that will cure you is The Sinclair Method” is incorrect, there are other things as well.

Whilst I agree TSM has the highest success rate, it’s not a one pill cures everything easy method. It also requires will power, determination and mindfulness.

Ive no experience of using TSM, but I have managed to control my drinking to a level I’m happy with. I don’t drink daily, I no longer have bottles hidden away, I don’t drink secretly and I never drink spirits .

I used another medication acamposate (campral) an anti craving drug. Unlike TSM you don’t drink whilst taking it.

• Posted

Welcome and great that you are honest. For now many years have you been drinking this much? If you are on a long binge are you then working or studing? Or not? How do you function? A time to reflect and think where this is le ading?robin
    • Posted

I’ve been binge drinking for almost 2 years. I will take shots all thru out the day and then after about 5 days of this I feel like crap and quit for a few days. Rinse and repeat. I can handle all my daily duties and responsibilities (I’d probably do them better without drinking tho. 
  • Posted

I was a very heavy drinker and went cold turkey. No major problems apart from a couple of nights of disturbed sleep at the start. 

I think you should focus on the long term picture, which is basically How are you going to keep off the booze once you've stopped?

• Posted

Well I am

Trying to build up a support system. This scares the s**t out of me and I don’t want to die from this. I have been reading and have been told in other support groups that withdrawals start at around 24 hours and get the worst around day 2-3. Right now I only have the anxiety and elevated blood pressure. No shakes yet. So I’m hoping this time I am getting a wake up call and not the DTs or scary things like that. 

• Posted

Hi Have you googled the Sinclair system? Good luck. Keep strong.
    • Posted

I have looked into it and I would like to try it. I will see my dr end of the month and I hope she can prescribe me one of the medicines. 
  • Posted

If you are not getting the shakes then that is a very good sign. If you don't get them after 24 hours then I don't think you are too dependent yet

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.