Need advice on fistula

Posted , 4 users are following.

So basically I'm a week out of operation now where I went in to have a abscess drained and came out with a seton stich, went back for a check up as I was unclear what it was and was told they think it's a fistula, I'm booked in for a MRI scan soon and then have an appointment in 3minths to see if I need the stitch replaced with a new one or have it totally removed, I'm having a little pain last night which is annoying as it seemed to be getting much better, the surgeon said I had been keeping it very clean and I didn't need packing or dressing, the pain is nippy and a little tight infact it almost feels like the abscess is back what should I do

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

This seems to be the way with fistulas - the symptoms come and go in my experience. The seton is there to keep the fistula tract open so any further infection can drain away before it sets up another abscess. This may be what is happening to you. There is a very good Facebook site called Fistula Survivors which is based in US  but has quite a few UK (and indeed international ) members. It is a closed group I.e. You have to apply to join but I would recommend it as you get to chat with fellow sufferers. It is not for the faint hearted however as some people have horrendous problems so you need to keep things in perspective and not catastrophise about your own condition as a result of reading what others post!
    • Posted

Thanks for the help, is it normal for it to be nippy pain / a little burny
    • Posted

Hi

I am interested to know more about this group. I could not find it on Facebook. I could only find the Fistual Foundation. Any information appreciated.

Thanks

• Posted

Have tried to post the link to the Facebookmsite below but for some reason this site won't allow it at present. Try searching under "Fistula Support" for groups on FB.

• Posted

Hello, I found the fistula survival guide page, hopefuly this is it. Many thanks for your time.
    • Posted

What a fantastic Group, thanks so so much for this.
    • Posted

No problem, glad you like it. I have found it extremely helpful just knowing that there are so many other people with this condition (which I had never even heard of prior to being diagnosed with a fistula!) and being able to talk without embarrassment about experiences, tips, and just being there for each other when times are hard. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.