Need Advice on Gout Medication

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had a gout flare before and I had not have one for couple years. I had a flare up beginning of December and my Dr. put me on Colchicine and Allopurinol. Colchicine .06mg twice a day as needed. Allopurinol 100mg twice a day. This is my first time being on these medication. I used NSAID for my previous flare up.

I took both Colchicine and Allopurinol as directed for a week and I finally was able to walk. I stopped taking Colchicine per Dr. order and direction of as needed only. My big toe although swelling around joint has subsided it is still tender when I put pressure on it. I continued with my Allopurinol medication.

My question to all is how long should I take the Colchicine? As long as I take Allopurinol? When does one stop Colchicine since it is a as needed medication. Will stopping Colchicine prematurely trigger another gout flare up?

Any advice is very much appreciated. Thank you in advance and I look forward to hearing from all.

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

• Posted

I think you're just about on target, when you can walk again stop the colchicine, and unless there's another flare you just stay on the allopurinol for some time, including at least until your blood tests say your blood urates are down to a normal level.

• Posted

Thank you for your advice. I stopped the Colchicine after a week and the swelling went down but the spot is still tender. I also started taking Allopurinol for the first time with the Colchicine. At the moment, I am only on Allopurinol. However, the tender spot just will not totally go away. The reason I questioned about continuing the Colchicine is I read somewhere that some may get a gout trigger when they first get in the Allopurinol regime. Am I experiencing that? Should I start taking the Colchicine again? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you all for answering my question and I am glad I found this forum. Seasons Greetings to all.
    • Posted

Allopurinol will trigger gout as the crystals are exposed (which were previously covered by layers of protein to get them out of the blood). However you should be able to control it with the occasional colchesine. Be aware that if you have a heavy infection stop The colchesine as it reduces immune activity.

As for the allopurinol it will eventually sort you out. The most common dose during the cleaning out phase (fist couple of years) is 300mg. You may find 200 is enough, but you need blood tests to confirm it. 

NB as a gout sufferer you need to get the urate down to under 4, not under 6.5 as per a normal male.

NB2 the faint gout you have now could be the crystal release or it could be long term damage already done to the joint. I thought for a year or so I had permanent damage done to the joint but after a couple of years of allopurinol it 98% disappeared (leaving a small pain if I push my toe up hard). 

Merry Christmas and good health.

• Posted

Thank you for your explanation. I am glad I found this forum.

Cheers and Happy New Year

• Posted

Hi Jay

The Dr is doing the right thing.

The only additional advice would be drink plenty of water and during the first couple of weeks look out for a skin reaction. It’s very unusual in Caucasians, but it does happen - all your skin falling off.  If you’ve been On allopurinol and not had it yet, you’re in the clear. 

The colchesine is there to stop gout flairs by calming down the immune system. I found I took one from time to time as needed. In my experience if you take a colchesine as soon as a hint of a problem it stops it.

Allopurinol is for life. For probably a genetic reason (and age) your kidneys aren’t removing Uric acid  properly and it builds up in the tissues. As your blood urate falls more is released from the tissues, which may trigger gout (hence the colchesine.  This process will take time. Only 30% of people stick to the allopurinol possibly because they think they are cured or because they don’t understand that gout not only attacks the joints,?but causes damage to the arteries (and kidneys), which years down the line leads to heart attack and stroke.

It would be beneficial for you to get your body down to its correct BMI (around 22-24) if you’re overweight. If you drink alcohol it’s sensible for everyone but even more so with gout to drink occasionally and moderately.

You need to have blood tests probably 2 x a year to check you’re on the right does of allopurinol. 

With allopurinol you can eat whatever you like. Can’t emphssise enough to drink plenty of water - helps the body to flush the excess urate.

Taking The allopurinol will become as easy as cleaning your teeth.

NB I found that allopurinol made me very tired for the first few weeks.

Colchesine will give you diarrhea if you over do it. If that happens, stop a few days before you take another.

Oh yes - don’t take aspirin as it exacerbated gout.

• Posted

Thank you Rusty for the comprehensive explanation of Gout and its medication. Like my replied on the other post above, I quit taking Colchicine after a week when the swelling subside but the joint is still tender. I started the Allopurinol regime with the Colchicine and the only thing I am taking is the Allopurinol. My question is I read somewhere that for some going on Allopurinol for the first time can at times trigger a gout attack. My tender spot never did go away, its still a little sore to walk but not enough to debilitate me. Am I experiencing the side effect of Allopurinol (triggering a gout attack)? Should I start taking the Colchicine again? Do I need to stop Allopurinol until all signs of Gout is gone? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Just a FYI, I actually lost 40lbs after starting a low carb diet so my BMI is the best I ever been. I don't drink alcohol and no sugar for me since July. I drink PLENTY of water during the day so I am just confused as to what is going on that is causing this sore/tender area to linger. Thanks again Rusty for your advice and reply. Seasons Greeting and Happy Holidays.

• Posted

THe quick answer - the soreness is not a side effect of allopurinol- it’s the allopurinol doing its job.  You might take low dose colchesine (eve half at a time to see if that works for you). FYI losing weight often triggers gout as effectively while losing weight you are consuming extra meat each day (your own body meat).

If the soreness continues you may be stuck with it, but I found that the residual soreness in one toe (and thumbs) went after a good year or more. I’d describe mine as sore rather than pain. Colchesine helped it.

• Posted

Hi Jay wishing you a very free from Christmas gout.this time of the year. is watch what you eat. with me i take cholochine at the very first twinges and signs of gout.the swelling will go and you will feel better.not sure about taking allopurunol sometimes it will cause gout. I have been told. until your body gets rid of the urites.you must be free from this and have a blood test before they give you allopurunol.

• Posted

Happy Gout Free Christmas to you too, David. Thank you for your reply. Like my previous replies to the others I am questioning about Allopurinol and causing a Gout attack for some that is taking it for the first time. I have a tender spot on the affected joint that will not go away. Its not bad enough for me to be off my feet but its there and if bump in an angle can cause some soreness. Wonder if I should stop taking Allopurinol and start taking Colchicine again until all is clear and then go back on Allopurinol? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    • Posted

Don’t stop taking the allopurinol. The Allopurinol is providing a constant downward pressure on the blood urate. If you stop taking it the system goes into reverse putting down crystal deposits again.

The crystals don’t cause pain. What causes the pain and swelling is the white blood cell immune attack. The colchecine inhibits that attack, thus reducing swelling etc till the body has a chance to flush out the crystals causing the problem.

The advice in the past was to stop the allopurinol. This advice has long since been superseded. 

• Posted

Jay, 

Sorry to hear about your flare up.  They are the worst. Take it from someone who has suffered them for years, and sometimes a new flare up every week! I've actually had an attack simultaneously in the big toe and knew of the same leg!! Which has to be the worst combination.  

You should never take Allopurinol while taking Colchicine.  Allopurinol technically is for long term control, while Colchicine should only be taken during a flare up. During your flare up, typically 6 -12 days (1 pill a day) of Colchicine should clear it up.  After the symptoms are gone, that's when you get back on the Allopurinol. If youre in a full blown flare up, the Colchicine can take 2 days until you notice a difference. 

Another tip- If you're insurance provider is like mine, they won't pay for Colchicine.  If that is the case, checkout the Good RX app, they have a coupon code that can knock 40%-50% off the price. 

And as far as things to do to keep the flare ups away.  I read all about the diets, meats, alcohol, etc, etc.  I cut all those out systematically to see if any of them made a difference.  And cutting them out didn't keep my weekly attacks from occurring. Just recently I cut out all caffeine and bam, the attacks stopped. Strange right!  Hopefully that info helps, if not I hope you find your trigger!

Good luck!

• Posted

Hey W, sorry to hear about your flares.  You ever try taking celery seed (or just plain celery), before, during, or after?  I've got to try that GoodRX for another condition, actually.

?My worst attacks, of gout or pseudo-gout, are when the get into the tiny joints in the foot!  It doesn't even hurt as badly as some other but you just can't use it.

?I seem to be clear of regular gout now but have had what must have been pseudo-gout, now that I'm taking celery seed continuously I haven't had either and hope to keep it that way.

• Posted

Thank you Wulongheyot for the advice. I did stop taking Colchicine for now as I am taking the Allopurinol. Hopefully it will keep a flare up away. The GoodRX is a great way to save. At times it has better price than if I go through my own's prescription plan from work. The pharmacist where I go was kind enough to run through Good RX and my own. I wonder why am I paying for prescription plan when I can get discounts for free. As for caffeine, I hope that is not my case as I love coffee. Thanks again for the advice and reply.

• Posted

Have to check into the celery seed/celery. Is it a supplement? Does it comes in pill format? I am taking cherry extract and it is helping. Great advice. Thanks so much.
    • Posted

jx, never tried Celery seed, but yes I've eatin my weight in celery.  I think once or twice it helped with an attack, but in all honesty it's so difficult to say whether or not that was the one thing that actually helped.  Mainly because, when in paid I'd try every remedy possible, which I'm sure is counter-productive. I'm more than confident (for me at least) it's the caffeine.  Maybe i'm allergic to it? Jay, I have to say i'm a Debbie-downer (wahh wahh) when it comes to Allopurinol. It never did anything for me.  Little disheartening when you're taking a medication that is suppose to assist with keeping an attack from occurring while constantly getting an attack. Colchicine on the other hands is gods gift to gout sufferers. It has always been my best friend to clear an attack up, but again not very sustainable when you go off of it and the attack is just waiting around the corner. Hence the reason I've been more focused on cutting things out of the diet versus relying on remedies. 

• Posted

Jay, yes celery seed comes in convenient capsules.  It also comes loose, for cooking, and I rather like it actually!

?I tried cherry juice and dried cherries, and for me it did nothing.  I don't know that there is any known active ingredient in cherries, the way there is in celery seed, "3nb".

• Posted

W, have you ever looked seriously into pseudo-gout?  It works off calcium, it is not supposed to be linked to any particular diet, and allopurinol won't touch it.  Neither will celery seed.  That's why I finally started paying attention, and concluded much of what I have had is the pseudo- variety.  I think colchicine would still work on an attack as it's a general anti-inflammatory or pain-killer or something.

• Posted

This advice is wrong.

It is completely 100% normal to take allopurinol and colchesine. 

It is the standard advice by NICE.

• Posted

This advice is totally incorrect. Who told you this?

Following this regime it is not surprising that you have weekly attacks. What you are doing is constantly turning the system off and on, this almost guaranteeing gout.

Additionally the dosage advice for allopurinol is also wrong.

• Posted

Hey Rusty. I don't think there is a right or wrong when it comes to asking for advice on sites such as this (as I'm not a doctor), but to answer your question - I received my directions from my doctor.  However, there are 100's of articles on the subject if you just do the research.  Here are several doctors on this link concurring with my doctors instructions: https://www.healthtap.com/topics/can-you-take-colchicine-and-allopurinol-together[/b]

Furthermore, I didn't give advice on dosage for Allopurinol.  I was offering my advice on the Colchicine.  I had one doctor tell me to take 1 pill for every hour until I started to have diarrhea and another doctor tell me once a day. I found through plenty of testing - once a day is equally as powerful as doing the latter.  

My prescription for allopurinol is twice a day, however I stopped taking this altogether. 

• Posted

I have, the issue (for me is), it's a moot point on the differences.  Colchicine is still the active treatment for both Gout and CPPD (pseudo gout).  Blood work would suggest gout, the last test I had abnormally high uric acid level. But again, that really doesn't say much either.  The only true test is an injection in the site, and there is no way in hell I'm doing that during a flare up. I'd prefer an amputation before I'd submit to a poking in the middle of a gout attach.  They have some very cool prosthetics available wink  Plus, knowing my luck they'd do the injection and the findings would be inconclusive.  

• Posted

Hi wulongheyot.i think me and you are in the same boat cholochine knocks it out.and we are waiting for the next attack.what can we do about it. take a blood test to determine how much uric acid we have in the blood and take allopurunol for the rest of your life.or take cholochine.and another thing you will have to consider what side affects do the tablets have on our bodies?
    • Posted

My attacks have actually completely gone away since I've cut out all caffeine. Hopefully, it stays that way. Since my attacks have stopped, I stopped taking allopurinol. David, I hope you find what ever it is that is causing your flair ups.   

• Posted

Hi wulongheyot.thanks for your concern.caffeine gives me food for thought. excuse the pun.and I will try stopping caffeine and will let you know if it does the trick for me.
    • Posted

Rusty, I tried replying back to you earlier but noticed a hyperlink reference to a page that has multiple doctors concurring with my reply is being moderated by this sites admin.  I presume they wont allow any third party references in these forums.  I hope my advice isn't new news to you as it is a common discussion in Gout topics among medical professionals - And to be clear: The discussion I'm referring to is simultaneously taking Allopurinol while taking Colchicine.  And the general consensus from medial professionals claiming taking Allopurinol during an attack can prolong a flair up. Their is more literature that supports this than the latter. 

Furthermore, I never gave dosage advice for allopurinol, which leads me to believe if you didn't thoroughly read my post there is a good chance you didnt thoroughly read the articles published by NICE.

As for "who told me this" - two different doctors, both my personal doctors.  I don't quite understand your position on "this advice is totally incorrect", considering that the medical profession in general is a "practice" and secondly,  this is a web forum in which people give advice on past experiences. Now i'm not discounting your position on what you think you may have read. I'm sure there are different positions on this subject as there are in all things medical. 

Ultimately, I'm sure prior to Jay's decision to post in a forum like this was post a medical professionals opinion and now he's seeking advice from sufferers. 

• Posted

Excuse the delay in reply.

There are right and wrong answers in some questions and if your doctor told you to stop taking allopurinol during an attack he is giving advice which is not supported by those that write the management of gout for doctors. Also it shows a lack of understanding of how allopurinol works which is more worrying. Having said I’m told that it was the advice in some medical schools 40 years ago. 

I read the link which you gave (its long I only read half), but all the advice I saw disagrees with your doctor. 

Quote from NICE

<<For long-term control of gout the formation of uric acid from purines may be reduced with the xanthine-oxidase inhibitors allopurinol or febuxostat alternatively the uricosuric drug sulfinpyrazone may be used to increase the excretion of uric acid in the urine. Treatment should be continued indefinitely to prevent further attacks of gout by correcting the hyperuricaemia. These drugs should never be started during an acute attack; they are usually started 1–2 weeks after the attack has settled. The initiation of treatment may precipitate an acute attack, and therefore an anti-inflammatory analgesic or colchicine should be used as a prophylactic and continued for at least one month after the hyperuricaemia has been corrected. However, if an acute attack develops during treatment, then the treatment should continue at the same dosage and the acute attack treated in its own right.>>

And another reputable source:

<<Never start or stop this drug during a flare.

Stop taking medication at the first sign of a rash, which may be a sign of an allergic reaction.

Take immediately after a meal.>>

If your doctor suggests you should stop taking allopurinol during an attack - go and see a rheumatologist - and change your doctor to one who has a better understanding of gout.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.