Need advice on treating Dental Abscess

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello,

I have a dental abscess the size of a brazil nut to the side of the back tooth on my upper left jaw.

I have not been to a dentist - I have no money, only £40 left in the world. There is no way for me to get money - I am trying to sell my few remaining things.

I have lost my job and only have 6 weeks rent paid up in which to turn things around.

There are no friends or family to turn to.

The cost of just the checkup at a dentist is £18 and treatment at least £50 more (source nhs direct)

I cannot pay the fee.

Such is the size of the swelling on the upper palate, I cannot eat any solid food, barely swallow, sleep or, most of the time think - the pain is constant and agonising, even compared to other dental pain I have experienced.

I have 6 painkiller tablets left, but daren't use them.

Please advise how I can treat this myself. If I can get hold of a cheap syringe and sterilise it can I drain the pus myself?

I hope someone has an answer otherwise, well, I don't know what I will do.

Thank you for your time.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Go to the Dental Hospital (or A&E), treatment is free smile
  • Posted

I live in Doncaster, where we have an excellent Dental Unit attached to the hospital. Treatment is not free, but it is much cheaper than a Dentist. You would be best to phone to check charges before you go.
  • Posted

It's completely free if you go to the Dental Hospital in Birmingham,, just make sure you get there very very early (6:30 am) cheesygrin
  • Posted

I sorry to hear of your painful condition. It is important you see the dentist and get it sorted as the bone can get infected aswell. I expect you feel really poorly by now. The dental treatments are set now so the most you can be charged I think is £48 in total. But take advice from 'house' and go to the A&E dental at the hospital. If the hospital is a teaching hospital sometimes only a voluntary contribution is requested. Good luck!
  • Posted

I forgot to mention that most dentists will also do a payment plan, just ask!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.