Need advice please

Posted , 3 users are following.

My mother who is 75 has a 8mm goitre growing inwards which is pressing on her trachea.  She has had blood tests and does not have an under or overactive thyroid.  The ENT consultant has said she cannot go through an operation to remove the goitre due to another underlying health problem.  I am trying to find out if there is any other treatment available apart from surgery.  Hope someone can help?  Thanks 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I have never had a goitre, but for years, I had felt tired and sluggish. Every time I went and had blood the blood tests, I was told it was normal. I had to make sure I had my blood test when I was at my lowest. The lab must have realised my TSH was questionable, as they tested my bloods for Antigens and I was diagnosed with Hashimoto disease.  The labs do not always test for Anigens, Hashimoto is an Autoimmune Disease. I had flare ups then recovery, I had to have blood test at the time when the antibodies were high. They need to test for any  antibodies too. 

Maureen

• Posted

Thanks Maureen, that's been very helpful 
  • Posted

The way I worked it, was me being, tricky. I used to also have a thick tounge at my lowest, one of the symptoms of underactive thyroid, but I was only underactive when, (I know know) my antigens were present. I used to stay in bed, and go to the doctor, when I was feeling a bit better. So making my bloods ok. My doctor gave me a blood test form, and said go and have a blood test again in six months. I saved it till I was feeling at my lowest, and got my husband to drive me to the hospital, and had the blood test, it was a year later. That blood test, found the antigens. According to the internet, the laboratory, has the deciding factor to test for antibodies. 
  • Posted

I had a very large goitre also 5 years ago, and had it removed.   My TSH always showed normal,  There was nothing unusual in my bloodwork as well.  I only became aware because  I one day felt like i was choking..same as your mother grew inward. However, the surgeon said it must of been there quite awhile for the size of it.      Have you read about iodine?  Sometimes goitres happen due to lack of iodine in the diet.     
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply.  Mum has also had bloods and a fine needle test aspiration which both came back clear.  I will look on the Internet to read about foods high in iodine, and also think there is possible iodine supplement she could be taking.  Many thanks for your reply, apprecite it very much. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.