Need advice. Please help!

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm a 30 year old male, and for the last 10+ years I've dealt with extreme fatigue, depression and anxiety and always have cold feet and hands. The last two years it got alot worse. Pains and muscle aches, sore/swollen glands under my neck, I've also noticed the left side of my thyroid is swollen and hard. My left tonsil is swollen and have tonsil stones. About a month ago my methadone doctor told me my thyroid was low. She sent me for more bloodwork and a free testosterone test. My regular doctor never told me about this. I've seen him last week and he told me my thyroid is fine but my testosterone is low. I've also been having problems with my heart, it's either beating out of my chest, pains that go to my left arm, or feel like I have a weak pulse. I went to the ER today with pains in my chest and a heart rate of 160+. They said my TSH levels were over 10 but nothing to worry about and had low magnesium and sent me home. Does this seem like a thyroid problem? I'm almost conviced it is. What kind of doctor do I need to see and what tests should I ask for? I just want someone to take me seriously, because I know there is something wrong with me. Any help would be apriciated, thanks.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

TSH anything much above 4 is hypothyroid. So a TSH of 10 is way up there and, together with the neck issues, definitely indicates a thyroid problem. You need to see an endocrinologist.
  • Posted

Magnesium deficiency has many of the same symptoms as thyroid is ease. So getting your magnesium levels up should help you feel better.

However, a TSH of 10 and a hard nodule indicate longstanding hypothyroid disease. Your symptoms are classic hypothyroid symptoms. I’m guessing you also have hair loss. 

You’ll need to get a full thyroid panel in your next blood work and you’ll need to see an endocrinologist. 

What you’re dealing with as far as not getting an immediate diagnosis is pretty typical. 

Treatment for thyroid disease is not fine tuned and in fact medication and dosing are difficult. Also, medications have many side effects.

There are many lifestyle changes including diet, supplements and exercise that can help curb thyroid disease. There are many posts on this site. Read as much as you can and ask questions. People are very willing to help others benefit from their experiences.

• Posted

Go to the "class action sites  and research methadone. You may find out it is  side effects. The more crap you put in your body legal and illegal the more at risk you put your well being. God bless you and heal you

• Posted

Cathy makes an important point. You’ll need to look at your entire system and consider the sources of your illnesses. Otherwise you’re on avnever ending regime of pills and more pills to treat the side effects of the others. Pretty soon you don’t know what’s what anymore.
  • Posted

Thanks for the replies. I made my doctor already refer me to an endocrinologist. And about the methadone, I've only been on it for a year, and am already starting to decrease my dose to be off it for good.

• Posted

I am telling this to scare you First let me say I'm sorry your going this It's can completely interrupt your life Thyroid problems run in my family I deal with it everyday have and enlarged thyroid but I have lame doctors However my 27 year old daughter had a lump on the left side of her throat She dealt with depression But refused to address that over the course of 6 years the lump was getting bigger She became weaker Sleep problems Depression got worse Finally she asked my other daughter her sister who is a doctor if she would feel the lump (by this time it as like a small orange)My daughters response to her was What the Frack Go to the doctor Her did blood work and said its nothing Her sister said Not true so she went to Physians asst Who imediatlely sent her to an endocronoligest His fear was Lymphoma and she had an MRI the doctor found it was a huge tumor on her thyroid Mind you she lived 6 years with this and never said I'm really tired or I am sore and depressed Myself and her sister noticed it but would get upset if we mentioned it So I am glad you are being pro-active I'm not saying you have cancer But something is def going on Thyroid problems really wreck your life Endocronoligest (cant spell that word) is the type of doctor They deal with autoimmune disorders and of course the endocrine system Please do this and please let me know what's going on Good luck

• Posted

I do not mean to scare you I meant not to scare you
    • Posted

Yup, I hear ya. Me and my cyst are good friends now- I’ve has it since 1998. You really want to be proactive with alternative treatments because traditional medicine really doesn’t have a way to treat, only to monitor. NDT, natural dessicated thyroid will help take the stress of your thyroid gland by supplying thryroxin, and suppressing your own. Synthetic thyroxin made me sick and made my cyst grow, so I’m not a fan.  Acupuncture and borax therapy were helpful in reducing my cysts. The borax got rid of the calcified cyst. The soft stuff comes and goes with thyroid flair ups.

There are so many more options now. I find amino acid therapy to be super helpful, as I can no longer tolerate thyroid medication, though I need it. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.