Need advice/support for mono worried

Posted , 4 users are following.

1 month and 1 week in is it normal to have pain in the back of the head sometimes my neck gets stiff and it really scares my when I get the pain in the back of my head it makes me feel real dizzy,blurred vision and hurts very bad. I look stuff of Google and it gets me very worried Google is not my friend it makes my anxiety go up also is it normal to have brain fog? My whole body achs my back, my head,my neck stomach. The pain is like in the lower part of my head feels like it could come from my neck but it can be really intense sometimes and I was wondering if this is normal with mono? I need some advice on this and if anybody else has went through this problem before. Sometimes it achs my whole head. Then other times I have a shooting pain that goes through my head but goes away I have not had not sore, throat or nothing like that with mono. Although sometimes it is hard for me to swallow. My anxiety keeps me up all through the night I have trouble breathing thoughts that it's something worse that I'm the only one going through this and also the pain keeps me awake. Any advice/support cause I could really use some to calm me down thanks!

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Yeah, that definetely sounds normal. The first 9 months were absolutely terrible for me, I felt like i was dying and anxiety was going through the roof. I'm 12 months in but still experiencing some symptoms like swollen lymph nodes but all the other crazy stuff went away.

• Posted

When did these symptoms go away for you? Did it make you get dizzy and feel like you need to throw up all of a sudden? I'll be fine or minute then the next I get really bad pain in the back of my head and it makes me sick to my stomach did it do this to you?

• Posted

They mostly went away around the 10th month mark. Yes, I used to feel extremely dizzy and nauseous all the time.
  • Posted

Also this has been going on for a while it makes me sick feeling like I need to throw up is this all part of mono?
  • Posted

Hi Ravyn,

Still thinking about you and I do really understand about the anxiety. Brain fog and aches anywhere in the body can be common with mono - particularly in the neck, upper abdomen, groin, armpits, because there are areas where glands are prominent - if you haven't already done it maybe worth just asking your doc for some blood tests hopefully to reassure you. I do want to reassure you that these things can be normal with mono and they do go away - but always wise to get it checked if unsure.

For anxiety, it's hard I know to switch off - I'm terrible for it too. Sometimes things that have helped me have been relaxation apps on phone just reminding you with deep breathing, etc, or even just listening to soothing music or healing verses on my phone from You Tube. Sometimes doing this in bed at night can help, nothing worse than disrupted sleep, I take an anti-depressant tablet at night called amitrypyline which really helps with sleep. Always worth talking to the doc about if still feeling down and not getting any better.

Take care and hang in there - and remember you WILL get better, I truly believe that, even though it doesn't seem that way now, this virus unfortunately can take a bit of time and 5-6 weeks it's still normal to be under attack with the worst symptoms - but they do fade in time and hang in there, even if it still takes a bit of time don't panic because this can be normal, but you will get better thanks to God.

Thinking of you and remember the forum here has some good folk on it offering advice and encouragement so would definitely stick on here rather than the general internet which scaremongers so much - I know it's hard to stay off it though, it's natural. You WILL get there Ravyn.

Craig

• Posted

When you had mono did you sometimes feel like you were not here but you was? That also really scares me 😥. Is this normal my anxiety is really bad and I have barely got any sleep

• Posted

Yes I felt almost 'stunted' as if I just wasn't there or functioning right - exactly as you describe it. It's a horrible feeling I know, it will pass though it really does pass over. Hang in there.

Craig

• Posted

Omg thank you so much!! Your advice is really helping me a lot plus taking the time out of your day to talk to me. Did you get the bad pain in the back of your head in the lower part? Sometimes it achs my whole head. Do you think my lymph nodes could be causing this cause my neck also hurts as well?

• Posted

HI Ravyn,

It's hard for me to remember everything because it was over 10 years ago since I went through it, but I do remember the neck gland pain, particularly one gland on one side that bothered me. This does go away though it if that. The pain in the lower part of the back of the head may be glands too, but always worth getting checked out by the doctor.

Still believing you will get better - hang in there - trusting God.

Craig

• Posted

How long did the mono last for you and the feeling you were not here but you was?
    • Posted

I think it was the first 2-3 months I felt that way, it does get better and the intensity does lessen - hang in there, the first few weeks are by far the worst and I still believe you are going to get better.

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.