Need advice, SVT might be back after ablation

Posted , 6 users are following.

So I have been doing pretty well after my ablation, I am still on 50mg Toprol XL. Last night I had a tachycardia episode that last a few minutes a heavy cough actually knocked it out. I am 4 months out from ablation. Could I still hope that I am healing or do you guys with experience think it is not fixed. Any comments would be helpful. ThanksĀ 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I am having ablation in 2 weeks and at my pre op appt yesterday i was told that in the 3 months after i could get palpitations and lots of missed beats but any svt etc recorded after 3 months means ablation wasnt successful. If you were just having sinus tachycardia episode then thats not svt. Do you have implanted moniter or have you got hand held ecg moniter which could tell you what you are having if used at time?
    • Posted

HI, I don't have a monitor but I am going next Friday to the Doctor who performed the ablation to let her know what happened. It didn't feel like sinus Tachycardia it was a lot faster but even just like the SVT.  

• Posted

Hi i had an ablation 4 years ago after many severe svt's. Always suffered with skipped/missed beats since although the svt seemed to have been cured. I'm now being referred back to cardiology as the skipped missed beats are getting worse and I'm having episodes like the svt is trying to come back!

• Posted

I hope you hear an encouraging report from your doctor.  It may still be too early for him or her to give you a confident opinion, though.  My first ablation seemed successful for a couple of months, but wasn't.  My second has been remarkably successful, and I'm much enjoying a noticeably better quality of life.  Maybe that could help you be a bit less discouraged if you hear less than ideal news.  I wish the very best for you.

• Posted

hi gene are you still in this forum?can you please tell me your experience from your first ablation?you said that it worked for a couple months..i had ablation 5 months ago. after ablation i feel weird beat as if svt is going to start but it didnt..unfortunately 3 days ago svt came back for 5 minutes, it stopped by itself. do you think that my ablation is fail?

• Posted

Sorry for the delay. My wife is a nurse practitioner, so our household is particularly challenged right now with pandemic responses. The return of my SVT, post Ist ablation, was a deep disappointment, and I do understand and appreciate your concerns. But, 3 years without SVT (since my 2nd ablation) have been one of my life's greatest rewards.

I'm hoping you'll be able to get good medical advice soon. If your SVT has returned, and if the recommended treatment is a second ablation, I'd strongly consider pursuing that.

Stay safe, be well, and I wish the very best for you.

• Posted

thank you for replying during your difficult time. yes i know some people need more than one ablation even 3 or 4, and some of them ended of having pacemaker. this thought has been scaring me so much that's why i'm so reluctant to have another ablation. here in my city we only have one EP, so i don't know if he is good enough. he said prior the ablation the cure rate is quite high,more than 90%, so i'm very disappointed because i'm in that 10% who fail. im just hoping that my svt will not happen again in the future or at least will lessen both in severity and frequency. when i see him in my next appt i will sure discuss about this. thank u again for your encouragement, wish the best for you too šŸ˜ƒ

• Posted

Hi,

I am 59 years old now and in your similar situation. I would like to share my experience.

Before my EP/ablation, I was taking 90 mg verapamil (slow release) every morning. The tablet helped reduces my symptom from once every fortnight to once a month. Sometimes it was a long episode. When it was longer than 20 minutes, I took an additional table following by modified valsalva manoeuvre. With every long episode, I was always nervous whether I had to go to ER. Things were not in my control. So far I had ever visited ER once.

Once a year, I was seeing my cardiologist. Every time we were discussing about the EP. At the end, he was always saying that my heart was healthy and it was not worth risking with the complication of EP/ablation. Anyway, after insisting, I had EP/ablation on Dec 2019. That was 4 months ago. I stopped taking verapamil 2 weeks before the surgery and have not taken any since.

After the operation:

1. On the 19th day after the operation, I had a short 2 min episode. I used the normal valsava manoeuvre to stop it.
      2. On the 24th day after the operation, I had a rather long 15 min episode. It was long because I was not at home and could not perform the valsava manoeuvre. Once at home, I had the modified valsalva manoeuvre to stop it.
      3. On the 41st day after the operation, I had a 3 seconds episode while I was lying down. It stopped on its own.

People always said that it took 90 days after the operation for the heart to be healed and to adjust. I took that to calm myself over those episodes.

1. On the 101st day after the operation, I had another 15 second episode. I was using the modified valsalva manoeuvre to stop it. This time I was so disappointed because it happened more than 90 days after the surgery date.

Today, it has been 4 months after the operation. Considering everything, now I am not so disappointed because I no longer need the tablet; and each episode seemed to be easy to manage. I don't think I will be nervous in flying as in the past. I have a cup of either coffee or tea everyday. As a result, for now, I am not considering the 2nd operation. I guess each person is different but I hope you could find some similarity with my experience.

There was also a small thing about (not taking) verapamil. I started to have discomfort in urinating and I blamed it on my aging ie the enlargement of prostate gland. After the operation, that discomfort was lessen a lot. Since the operation site was at my right groin, I think the operation may disturb the gland. After a while I told myself that such non-sense could not be the reason. So I googled the side effect of verapamil once again with focusing on the urinating. And research articles about CCB and Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms (LUTS) exist. Now I think I have the proper reason.

Take care.

• Posted

hi,

thank u for sharing your experience. this definitely gives me hope that my ablation will calm down my svt. i was in verapamil too before the procedure, 240 mg a day but it didn't work. thats why i agreed to get ablation as i was told it has high cure rate. i was pretty confident it was successful until 2 weeks ago, fortunately it went away itself after 5 minutes but the rate was just as fast and strong as before, 220 bpm. couldnt slept the whole night after the attack frightened it will happen again and had to rush to ER.

the ablation prevents me from having attack for 5 months. before, i would had attack every 3/4 months then 2 months before the procedure i had it every 3 weeks, the last 3 had to taken to ER to convert. i think the ablation has helped to lessen though i hope i will be permanently free.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.