Need advise on exercise

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi

Newly diagnosed yesterday with a reading of 46 in the 42-47 range.  So I spent yesterday researching after reading the little booklet.  I've got a handle on the diet/losing weight, I think, as I had joined WeightWatchers recently, and now need to tailor my meals to monitor carbs more closely, increase good veggies and cut out all bad treats/snacks even if I have the points! 

But my question is about exercise and I would welcome any suggestions.  My problem is I can't stand for more than a few minutes or walk more than a few metres without crutches/stick, as I have a twisted pelvis, crumbled discs, hip erosion and osteoarthritis.  So walking is not an option for me.  I used to power walk 5 miles, 5 times a week but had to stop 2 years ago due to the back problems.  I'm also miles from the nearest swimming pool and it's very expensive for a pensioner like me, both for the entrance and petrol costs.  I certainly couldn't afford it 5 times a week as has been suggested.

I see the Nurse Adviser at my GP practice next month with 4 weeks food monitoring records, but is there anything I can do to help myself in the meantime?  Thanks everyone.

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Sorry to know about your problems. May God's help be with you. I suggest whatever you can do conveniently , keep doing even for a short time. If you feel pain/discomfort , then of course it may better to meet the Docs who may prescribe some static exercises. Wishing you good luck.

• Posted

Thanks - I'm hoping the Nurse Practitioner will advise me when I see her next month, with my 4 week food diary.  In the meantime I've started doing the static exercises.  Much as I hate swimming, I asked a friend to come with me to the once a week over 50's session, but she declined, and I don't want to go alone.  It's not an organised class, which some pools offer (none close enough to me), just lane swimming.  Today for more exercise I did an hour's gardening, with plenty of bending and stretching.

My fridge is groaning under the weigh of fresh veggies and salads, and I've got 2 large batches of homemade veggie soup in the freezer, which should last me for lunch for 3 weeks.  I also stocked up with fresh oily fish (salmon, trout, mackerel) which I've portioned up and frozen. 

So hopefully I've started the right way.  I'll post again after my next HbA1c test with the result.

• Posted

Felinia, food sounds great, but in my case, I would not be eating the fresh fish because I'm subject to gout.  Nothing wrong with chicken, pork, and beef, in smaller, lean portions.  Lamb if you can get it, at a respectable price.  Walnuts and almonds are good sources of protein, too.

• Posted

Thanks - glad I'm in the right direction.  I can't take red meat, nuts and seeds because of my Diverticular Disease, and acidic foods because of the hiatus hernia and gastritis.  It's such a balancing act eating foods that fit in with all the conditions.  Until the diabetes diagnosis, I used to eat lots of potato, rice, gluten free pasta and GF bread.  I've just made out a weekly food plan for the next 7 days and it's quite restrictive and boring, but I'm planning to try new vegetables and make different soups, without the potato and pasta added.  I'm also going to have a go at cauliflower rice and courgetti or spaghetti squash with my turkey mince.  I have osteoarthritis in some of my joints which I think must be comparable to the pain of gout - poor you.

• Posted

Hi @Felinia, as long as I'm good on the diet, no gout!

I've found potatoes are just hard on the BG but pasta doesn't have to be so bad, especially if you can find some whole wheat pasta - which tastes just about the same once the sauce is on it, LOL.  And here's an obscure fact - if you make the pasta, then let it cool and put it in the fridge, when you take it out cold it has been changed and is now "resistant" and much less bad.

I even eat some whole wheat bread and brown rice, for the lower glycemic index.  Maybe it helps.  It hasn't killed me anyway.  Actually any kind of bread but the most basic white bread has a better glycemic index and seem OK (for me!) as long as I count the carbs, which usually means just half a sandwich or open-faced on one piece of bread.

Your numbers aren't horrible, so your dietary restrictions only have to be moderate too.  Just get away from using carbs as the base for everything else, don't eat a huge bowl of spaghetti, drink sugary lemonade, and have a big bowl of ice cream for dessert!  That might be 200 or 300 carbs, and a normal person can get away with it, but now we can't.  Depending on your weight and activity and such, probably want to average no more than about 50 carbs per meal and do NOT go above about 75 or 80.  That's probably all you need.  The extreme "keto" diets people can go on are fine for some and needed by others, but there's no reason to think you have to go there now.  Nor me!

• Posted

Hi, My problem with the carbs thing is I can't eat any form of gluten as it is a trigger food for my Diverticular Disease, along with fat.  I end up rolling in agony and running to the loo all day!!  I did find a couple of gluten free breads, which were barely edible toasted - the rest were not.  GF pasta is OK but comes in white only.  You can get squash sheets in my supermarket, to make lasagne with, so I'll try that with my turkey mince.  What do you know about Quark - it's fat free but dairy?  I use that with a beaten egg to top my lasagne.  But thanks for the tip about brown rice - I hadn't thought of that.

I'm wondering if I misunderstood the carb limit.  I thought it was 45-60 carbs per day, which is why I just have 35gm with my breakfast porridge, and hope the veggies I have the rest of the day don't exceed that.  For example I had a slice of grilled gammon with cabbage, leeks, carrots and runner beans.  I know carrots and beans have some carbs, but cabbage, leek and gammon were minimal so I thought that was an OK meal.  My other meal that day was a large salad with a crustless quiche (egg, fat free cottage cheese, chopped peppers, mushrooms and onions) and 1 tablespoon fat free lemon and black pepper dressing.

Thanks for all your advice - this is trickier than I naively assumed it would be.  I'm 68 and have dealt with dietary issues due to my DD and hiatus hernia for almost 20 years, so thought this would be just one more thing to add to the lists!  I did some exercises lying on my bed this morning before getting up, and it actually helped my mobility - so an upside!   Having been an adviser on DD on this forum for 2 years I've seen people come with loads of questions, learn and move on.  Now I'm that side of the fence and am sure I'll learn too!

• Posted

Felinia, there are no fixed guidelines on the carbs.  In my case my endocrinologist started me on 60-75 per *meal*.  I thought then, in my ignorance, that that was pretty high, I've discussed it on diabetes forums and it seemed high to everyone, and with six more months of Internet knowledge it *still* seems high to me - but it worked OK for me! 

Though I've reduced that on my own already, my target is more like 50-65 per meal, and some meals are well below that.  But I'm sure I average well over 100 carbs per *day*, and my BG is … not too much higher than yours, LOL.  Even with my metformin medication.  But this is not bad, under the circumstances!  I even continue to lose weight on this, maybe a pound a month.

So my own conclusions (think the old Monty Python skit with "Ann Elke" and her theory about the dinosaurs) are that a large part of this is not especially the exact numbers per meal, but avoiding huge excursions, avoiding the 100, 200, and 300 carb meals.  These seem to throw your control system out of wack and it takes a couple of days to recover your BG back to normal levels.

So avoiding the big numbers, - and also avoiding snacks, which can keep the BG high even in little increments, although many with diabetes like their snacks, and SHOULD be able to have them by "borrowing" carbs from the next meal.  For me, no snacks other than a few nuts or a small piece of cheese, seems the best policy.

So 35 per *day* is low, much lower than someone in your situation really needs to target.  OTOH it's bound to help you lose weight, if you stick to it.  35 per *meal* is even in the low range.

Hope that helps.

• Posted

Thanks again.  I'm 100kg (220 pounds) and told to lose 90 pounds.  That's 41% of my body weight.  To quote Tom Cruise - Mission Impossible!!  But more realistically I'm told to aim for 30 pounds at first.  I have a holiday in September and looked up the hotel on the website.  They do set meals with 3 choices per course.  All the desserts are out and most of the starters.  Trouble is you don't know what goes in hotel meals and I'd already told them I can't eat gluten or fat.  I suspect I have the joys of a week of plain omelette and plain salad to look forward to - nothing like coleslaw, potato salad, no fancy dressing.  Breakfast is OK - they do porridge lol!!  My trip in February is better - it's all Buffet meals and I can manage that no problem.  I'm very hopeful of fitting into my cropped trousers by then! 

• Posted

I hope this help you if you have a pc or lap top try you tube  put in what kind of exorcise you want to try and try it but take your time and get use to it . I wish you a long and happy life. 
    • Posted

Thanks for your advice.  I'm 68 but have a lot of living to do still!!

• Posted

Yoga is considered as one of the best thing that can reverse the aging effects significantly at home. There are several poses that can boost the blood circulation and provide the essential nutrition to various cells. I have found an article entitled " 21 Yoga Poses for Anti Aging – Yoga Turns the Clock Back" at zovon. 

• Posted

A final update. After following a very low carb, low fat, high veggie and small protein and fruit diet for just over 3 months, I got the results of my HbA1c test. My level has dropped from 46 to 41 and my GP tells me I am now no longer in the pre-diabetes range, but at the top of the normal range. So I still need to be careful but both GP and I are very pleased.

However my cholesterol ratio has shot up from a normal 3.8 to an abnormal 4.9, although my total cholesterol has dropped from 5.8 to 5.4. It seems this is because I now need to eat more good fat. It's so frustrating that one dietary change impacts on something else I had not considered. I have been low fat for years because of elevated total cholesterol and a severe intolerance to statins.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.