Need advise on stopping awful drug gabapentin

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi guys, I’m in need of some

Urgent advise.. 

I have been on this terrible drug gabapentin for a few months now.. I’m on 300mg’s 3 times a day, it has done sooo much damage to me mentally it’s unreal!!! I feel like gabapentin has completely rotted my mind. I felt like sectioning myself today it’s been that bad! I’ve been apsolutely terrified these last few weeks thinking I was on the edge of completely losing my mind.. until reading all these comments and horrible

Side effects of gabapentin...

I haven’t taken any in 2 days because I’m to scared to even take another tablet of this filth! But now I’m reading a lot that it can cause bad problems if you stop suddenly.. I don’t know what to do?? I’m scared.. 

I just want to get this awful stuff out of my system & most of all out of my mind!! 

Never been in such a bad place mentally in my life & I suffered severe chronic pain for 8 years, I’d rather go back to that pain FACT Than what’s happening to me now. My mind is not my own anymore. Can someone please help me??? I don’t know what to do from here ? 

Thankyou in advance. 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

tyler54849,

I was on 900mg/daily! It was horrible! I had a whole bunch of side effects! All I can tell you is what I have been through! My dr told me to drop 300mg every 5-7 days! With what  I have read it has to go slower than she told me! Right now I am still going through withdrawals and it’s been 2 months since I took one! Probably best to call the dr who put you on it and tell them you want off of it! They might tell you to up it, but don’t do it! Everyone is different! You should not just stop it! Good Luck!!!!

• Posted

So sorry you are going through this 

You will get to the other side

I was on 400 mg 4 times a day!

I have nueopathy due to a total knee replacement

I was on it for 8 months

After talking to my Doctor she had me slowly taper off it!

After 4 months of tapering off I’m now on 200 mg  a day just before bed

I will stop that dosage February 1

It did help with the numbness, pain from the neuropathy 

Which has come back but it’s tolerable!

The gabapentine is a horrible drug 

Made me feel like I had no mind left, the memory loss horrible and I would start a sentence and couldn’t finish it!

Withdrawal also so very hard

Vomiting, sweats, sleeplness, irritability 

Depression!

Don’t give up!!

Go to your Doctor for help!

I’m almost back and I’m staring to feel like my old self!!

I wish you the best!!

• Posted

Sorry to hear, sounds tough 😟

Hang in there.. I was on 3x 100mg/day for a couple months before I tapered myself down and off within a week late Dec.  Off the med for 2 weeks now and withdrawal is bad I have all the side effects. 

Plz go slow to ease your transition. Some recommend magnesium to help calm, tho I hear don’t take it yet if you’re still on the med.  Epsom salt baths, relaxing music, go for walk, watch a movie, bear with the bad until gets better is what I hear. I should try those too but feeling a complete mess right now lol.  And I trust we will get better each day.  God bless. 

• Posted

Oh honey so sorry. Best advise is to titrate slooooowly take mag and Epsom salt bath. Know that it will get better
  • Posted

Don't just stop,youll make yourself bad.

When I started to come off them I took the morning one,then took the afternoon one later in later until I got to early evening.then cut out night one.i then after 5 to 6 days halved the night one,and then did same again halving the morning one.eventually cutting the remaining half.Then the fun began with side effects for me.but as I was determined to get off them I put up with the bad side effects.now a month or so later I'm ok

Good luck.i hope others in here can tell you how they're getting on.just don't give in and start taking them again cos it's easier

• Posted

thanks so much guys! Big help..o can’t wait for this to be over with I really can’t. Want this horrible stuff completely out of my system and brain! So angry with my ‘drs’ for putting me on it! 

Is my brain gonna be able to go back to the way it was ?? 

I’m not gonna be like this mentally forever am I ? It’s awful! 

I’m shaking, twitching, can’t speak properly, can’t think of words to say... so nervous around people! My eyes feel funny, I don’t feel with it at all. Don’t feel like I know what’s goinf on sad 

Please someone tell me that my brain will/can go back to normal?

Thanks so much for the comments, god bless you all

• Posted

My mind and thoughts are almost back to normal for me

I’m still on 200 mg at night

But will be off that Feb 1

My husband said that I’m back to “normal”😄😄

Time 

Time heals all!

Be strong you can do it!!

• Posted

Made me smile reading that June!! 

I feel excavtly what you said, no mind left! Don’t feel like I even know myself anymore. 

I can’t wait to start to feel better mentally I just hope it doesn’t take to long!

My thoughts are just terrible. I’m hating my own mind right now..

I’m glad your doing much better June & I hope to be where you are very soon!

I will do this!!!!

Thanks so much June smile  

• Posted

Hi Tyler my name is Nick, I take gabbas as well... I'm on 800mgs 5 times a day.. I've actually take about 27 pills a day.. I know it was bad but I never had your reaction.. I can tell you that stopping them cold Turkey will not kill you.. My doctor told me there is no withdrawal from them.. Please stop taking them, because I rather have you alive and in some pain than very unstable and unpredictable because of these pills.. Definitely call your doctor ASAP, if it gets really bad you should go to the hospital just in case.. I don't know you but I'll be here for you of you need me.. I have severe depression but been good for years so I get it, mental stuff is scary and nothing to play with. My number is 6613716784 just in case you need a lifeline.

• Posted

Nick,

I think your dr is wrong! There are horrible withdrawal symptoms! I weaned off the way the dr told me! I am going through horrible withdrawals! If you go cold turkey you could have a seizure! Read other people’s stories on this forum! 2 months off and still suffering!!! Just letting you know my experience!

• Posted

I respect that, I've taken 21,000 mgs of gabbas for weeks at a time and didn't feel any withdrawal symptoms when I stopped cold Turkey but that was my experience. That's why I said consult the doctor first just to be sure before doing it. But if your suicidal because of it there really is no other option than to cut off

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.