Need an anti-anxiety med but dont know which one

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi im 34 yo male

am pretty pro-active, but am realizing my whole life has been corrupted or burdened by anxiety, mostly social anxiety

im not really depressive but i do tend to ponder too much on the darkness of things

in the pressures of social interaction i tend to take the avoidance road, am overly self conscience, doubt myself too much and worry about things that are just unnecessary. but yet am highly liked in the community and come across as an impressive figure. unfortunately my anxiety causes me to become strange and un-articulate and people then find me to be odd

anyways i recently tried citalopram, and the growing sense of having minimal anxiety was fantastic. but the drowsiness, the lack of sleep, the cotton mouth, the swollen throat, the glassy sleepy eyes and face, i simply couldnt continue on the drug and have now stopped after 2 weeks on it

i just need something very light, but i fear more meds means more sedation and as a sportsperson i cant take being half asleep and unpresentable all day. id rather be anxious 

could someone recommend a possible treatment that might work, thats very mild and light

thanks for any help 

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I've had depression/anxiety for a long time now but because of stress the past two years have got so bad .. Started having panic attacks but it's been awhile since I've actually had a bad panic attack.. I'm not on meds but everyone tells me I should .. I just don't because I see a lot of people that it helps me not 100% as its not a cure it just covers it up pretty much.. I like all natural stuff so I heard oils work.. Gonna try it before going to meds.. U should look into that first since you have light anxiety.. Heard lavender oils but there's tons of different oils you can mix together to help with anxiety.. You can either run it on yourself or put drops in a glass of water.. Either way lately I can't go too many places cause I get the same way.. I honestly think it's the food we eat
  • Posted

i do not know the strenght of your med, but perhaps a lower dosage would help you meet that balance. 
  • Posted

Try buspirone (buspar), acts like a diazopine but none addictive, takes 3-4 weeks to feel full benefit but for me I had no side effects or drowsiness.

• Posted

Hi. I didn't like Zoloft either. Similar issues I didn't need. Effexor, or cymbalta. Are grew for anxiety and fetzima. They don't or at least didn't give me those side effects. You take in am.
  • Posted

hi thanks for reply guys

the citalopram was only 20mg a day, i did in the second week take StJohns wart vitamins for a cold sore, and i read somewhere later that this is a dangerous combinantion ??

Aspinan, buspar is an interesting one. ive read that is not a long term med, its just to be used for about 3-4 months?

to some meds actually heal anxieties to a point that after 6 months i wont need any meds??

my GP spoke that we might try effexor when i see him next

escitalopram they say is cleaner but to me it would be just the same thing but upgraded model of citalopram?

im dreading further drowziness and decreased sexual libido sad

• Posted

err wait it was lysine for the cold sore not st johns wart lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.