Need an opinion

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi my name is Ryan, I went to the doctors yesterday with a pain i keep getting between the tip of my left ear around my temple and to my left eye.

This pain will last for approximatly 4-6 seconds and feels like somebody stabbing/electrcuting the area.

The doctor seems to think it is trigeminal neuralgia causing the pains, but i am in doubt because nothing in particular sets of the pain, I can shave, eat, talk, do anyhting and the pain will just come on randomly.

The pain is extremly severe but as i say only hurts for 4-6 seconds at a time and it could happen 3 times in 5 mins or 1 time in 5 hours as i say completly random.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sharpey.

First thing is the Dr should have sent you for a blood test to rule out Temporal Arteritis.

Luckily though(no thanks to the Dr if they didn't send you for blood tests)you haven't got that as the pain would be enough to send you to A & E.

I think if you are still getting this pain you should go back to your Dr and not leave till he offers a better explanation.Thinking you may have TN doesn't help you get rid of the pain.

There are 3 main branches from the Trigeminal Nerve.One two or all can be effected.Your Doc should at least send you for an MRI scan to rule things out.

As you posted in November I hope since then you have got some help.

All the Best.

• Posted

Hi Ryan,

I have been searching for some help for my wife, who was recently diagnosed with Trigeminal Neuralgia. It seems most people with TN, talk about having pain below ear and around jaw area. However, your description of the location of your pain is the same as my wife's... the temple area. So we are hoping that you are feeling better and that you might have found out something that would help her as well. Please let us know.

Thanks,

Robert

• Posted

Hi my pain is across the right hand side of my forehead. In was diagnosed five years ago and only have very intermittent attacks, which I thought were severe until Christmas Eve 2012. I just bent down to put shoes on and I had the worst pain in the world, attack after attack followed by episodes of shaking and shivering. Started on Tegretol which did work but side effects were awful. I am just 4 weeks post op after Mvd op and feeling well, recovered extremely well.  Had excellent surgeon and hospital staff were wonderful. Obviously this is not for everyone but because any other procedure would have left me with a degree of numbness in my right eye, my only option was MVD. I have numbness in my face at moment but hopefully this will recover, but this is better than TN. Hope your wife gets her TN under control one way or another I feel so sorry for her. 
  • Posted

Hi Sharpey,

Just wondered if you ever got to the bottom of your pain, I have exactly the same thing you describe.

Many thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.