Need answers

Posted , 10 users are following.

It started around March 19 of this year. My right calf was stiff. As time progressed I have now twitches in my arms, legs back butt. Pins and needles in hands and feet. My right upper back toward my shoulder blade feels wired. I have seen 2 neurologists and they gave me an ok. I had a mri of my brain and spine came back fine. if someone can provide some insite I would appreciate it. Just tiered of people telling me it's anxiety

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Kev! Don't be discouraged...neurologists have an annoying habit of brushing aside concerns - I had one tell me I wasted his time since I could walk into his office. Not really great bedside manner.

Yours could be a deficiency of some kind. Vitamin B12 or D maybe?  Those aren't uncommon...and would cause the sensations you describe but not show up on testing you've mentioned. Even low potassium could do this, I believe. 

I'm glad your spine and brain seem just fine! See if your Dr. will do full blood testing to determine if you're low/deficient and if not then what would s/he recommend?  You seem young and otherwise healthy so why would you have this issue?

Good Luck!!

• Posted

Thank you for your response. I will have my blood checked for b12. The thing that really is annoying is the twitches. I seem to get them morn constant in the left bicep and triceps and now occocially in my calf. Just really concerned it could be a start of something serious.
  • Posted

Hi kev6020,

Did you have mri of your neck?? Your back?

I had pins and needles down my arms so neurosurgeon had me do mri of my neck, and i have two bulging disc C6&C7 I also get bad migraines.

Back in oct 2013 I had hip revision which i got sciatic nerve damage from that surgery . I also have two bulging disc lower back l4 and l5.

Let us know how doing

Jackie

• Posted

To update the pins and needles have now on my face, lips.
  • Posted

Hey Kev,  there are so many neurological auto immune things.  I have had CIDP, DADS form for about 15 years and it was discovered by the neuro doing an EMG.  It has been progressive and the pain is, at times, unbearable.  I have it in both arms.  There is lots of info on this if you google it.  I was on a drug (can't remember the name) to aid in the rebuilding of the nerve sheaths but the side effects were horrible.  It flares up when the  weather changes, stress (like a hospitalization) or sometimes I can't figure out what caused the flare at all.  It has progressed and now my hands hurt all the time.  Some pins and needles, mostly just pain like the bones in my hands are broken.  I use compression garments ( I like using calf sleeves for my arms) and this does seem to soothe the beast, a band aid at best but at least it's something.  I also use Lidaderm patches and they work really well without narcotics (even tho I resort to that sometimes, too).  I know people who are on things like Lyrica to help with the pain but I had a serious and life threatening reaction to it.  Good luck finding a treatment you can live with ( along side the pain, of course!).  Managing your stress and eating healthy never hurts and laughing always helps, not only you but also those around you.
  • Posted

So past week has been a challenge. I tried going to gym to do a very very light workout on my arms. Now, which never happened before both elbows are stiff. i continue to have that weird pain in. Middle feft side of back. I tried doing back excersices again very minimal weight and there was a big difference in strength from right side to left. Although the twitches subsided for a bit they are now back in both legs. Pins and needles still there in hands and feet face. I am 46 and fare the sympthoms are not getting better. I am concerned that my sympthoms/progression are pointing to als . Can someone provide additional insite/support would be much appreciated.
  • Posted

Hello Kev

Sorry you are not feeling well.  I have had CIDP going on 10 years.  When I was first diagnosed I just got over a virus and broke my ankle. Prior to that looking back I would have tingling and numbness in hands and feet.  While recuperating at home with ankle my feet on up to my head was very weak,numb and I could not walk very well. I went to see my dr. asap and went to a neuro dr.  When he looked me over he thought it to be CIDP with emg.  The final decision was a spinal tap which proves the results.  A MRI is not enough.  This will either confirm or rule out CIDP.

I hope this helps with your question and really hope you feel better

• Posted

I'm not sure if we have a similar condition, but your symptoms sound a bit like mine which started around the same time as my 40th birthday and while I was training for a half marathon. Long story short, I decided to go off wheat and sugar about 4 years ago and all of those sympoms are very minimal to gone. I, too, had a brain MRI to rule out MS, etc. The MRI came back clean and my neurologist said there was nothing wrong with me that he could identify. Wheneverr I eat wheat I get twitching, shaky and  sometimes charlie horses or stiff calves at night. For me anyway, I stay off  wheat and sugar. Can't explain the correlation, but it works for me...I do feel weaker than I was before the training for the marathon. I don't run long distance anymore.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.