Need answers

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey everyone, may be a long shot but decided to try some forums to maybe get pointed in the right direction for a solution. For the last 12 years my wife has been having digestion issues. She has had every rest done under the sun and been prescribed tons of medicine as well. Nothing has worked. She has been put on a gluten free diet for about 6 years now and still has the pain in her side. They've said IBS in the past but nothing seems to work for her at all. She does not drink any caffeinated drinks, no dairy products, tried everything. Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated, thank you!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Was IBS a definitive diagnosis?
    • Posted

I believe it was more of a "we're not sure but we have to tell you something" type of answer.. been tested for chrones..had gall bladder removed. They ruled out female problems. Tried every different diet based on blood type.. Nothing works!

• Posted

Gallbladder removal can trigger complications such as IBS.  Does her pain move about and does she have change of bowel habit? Have antispasmodics been tried and the Low Fodmap diet?
    • Posted

She always complains of it going up the back of her left side. One doc was concerned about the kidneys but everything has checked out fine multiple times. As far as bowel movements she does get diareah all the time. Very rarely has a normal bowel movement. She was put on a couple different antispasm meds but had terrible side effects from them. Never heard of the Low Fodmap diet so that is one thing that may not have been tried. I appreciate the feedback on this, she has been in so much pain for so many years with no answers.
    • Posted

Gallbladder removal can also cause Bile acid malabsorption which causes diarrhoea and is often misdisgnosed as IBS D.  BAM can be identified with a SECHAT scan and can be treated.  

I am on Buscopan for my IBS and it helps my pain within 15 minutes and it is very mild.

• Posted

Hmmm this is something we have not looked into. Thank you again for the replies. We will look into having the scan done!!

• Posted

Hey! I’m in the same boat. I can’t help you with this as I need help myself but I hope someone gives us some answers. 
    • Posted

I hope so too, I figure it's worth a shot. Best of luck to you as I know how miserable this makes a person.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.