Need both sides Ablated?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello, is anyone ever needed both sides ablated? I'm told we can only do one side and see or hope medicine takes care of the other side? 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Not sure I understand what you mean? My first catheter ablation a very long one 7+ hours, ablated all four blood vessels/ arteries (never get the right term!) to stop the rogue electrical signals that were giving me AF, they told me subsequently.

Never heard something like only able to do one side  before. Ask more questions, record the answers. Has your hospital been doing catheter ablations for a long time?

• Posted

Not sure about what u mean by one side and then the other. There is a top side and a backside of the heart.  There is an ablation hybrid surgery that calls for a thorasic surgeon to get to the backside of the heart by an incision in your chest and an EP to do the front side thru the groin Unfortunately, the thorasic surgeon could not get to the backside of mine because my heart was attached to the pericardial wall because there was no fluid in the pericardial sack (possibly caused by a previous ablation.) 

However, fortunately the EP was able to get to the topside of my heart to do his job. Hope this isn't too confusing. Good luck to you. 

• Posted

Hi Mike. Ive been ablated on both sides.

First left side was about 85% successful, but had

to go for a second left at 6 months to fully deal.

Was still symptomatic so back again

as surgeon thought my 3rd or 4th might have re-routed to connect

again. A further 8 months, and treatment 3, checked left to find all were

still isolated, but SVC was very "aggravated" and did some work there. It took me

quite a lot longer to recover - i felt very fluttery almost non-stop for weeks after, and must admit, did worry

Id done more harm than good! It has now settled, and though i do still get episodes, they are less severe, and

I no longer take meds. Im far better than i was, but still have to be mindful of my PAF, especially around certain foods

which still set me off. Hope this may help. 😊

• Posted

Hi Mike

not sure my cardio  said they did right around my heart.

cheers Jran

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.