Need consoling from my PMR group

Posted , 13 users are following.

hi y'all as we say in Texas... I was telling you the Prednisone was making my esophagus irritated, and my Thoracic spine hurts, I thought from leaning to pick up something in car...

Rheumy had me get chest X-ray and spine...

they just called...

said I show moderate COPD and some Osteoarthritis in spine.

I do NOT smoke, I hate cigarets , I avoid people who smoke like the plague!!!  

Can the PMR be related? Did it show up because of my new issues?  

Last year I did tell primary doc that my throat sometimes feels like feathers, she laughed at me.  We assumed allergies.

oh, how I hope they are wrong.  I have call in to primary now.

i just want to cry.  I'm 54. Always been healthy. I don't caugh, I don't live in bad environment, in fact I live in the country, away from cities!

i did take up pastel painting for 4 years, but didn't do it much.

I could use some hugs. I'm scared. 

2 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Dear Layne,

First receive my Cyber hug. you need every hug you can get.

Tell us about your doctor. Is this a doctor in private practice or does this doctor belong to a teaching/research hospital?

I'm asking because my experience is that even if you love your doctor, you might be better off seeing a doctor who is part of a bigger speciality practice because this might mean that he/she sees many more PMR patients. This is good because then the doctor will have a range of experience that a rheumatologist who sees people with all sorts of Rheumatological issues will not have. 

Even if you have to travel further to see a rheumy in a teaching-research center, it will be worth for the confidence that such a doctor will give you. He/she doesn't have to guess so much about what to do.

You deserve better. You took care of yourself and you are younger than the average PMR patient.

You don't have to add fear to your discomfort. Keep us posted because we care.

• Posted

Thanks Kareren!  That is a very good point!!  When my husband had prostate cancer he only wanted to go to MD Anderson, a very big medical center! And was well worth it.

i still haven't even heard back from my primary doctor for an appointment and I live in a small town. The Rheumy is from bigger city, but her own practice.  There are larger groups, but no teaching facility near, nearest is 5-6 hour drive away. 

But, you have me thinking!!!!  

I found another group on this site with my same throat symptoms, and unfortunately they haven't found cures yet nor diagnosis, most assume acid reflux, but still have symptoms years later... 

Thanks for hug!

• Posted

Hi when my hubby had problems ;like yours he ate grapefruit(tinned in syrup) and he does not suffer now, but i dont know if you can have it with pred, it might be worth looking into, take care. Mags

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.