Need drug opinions

Posted , 3 users are following.

Last time I passed a kidney stone I went to the ER and was given Toradol IV. I am preparing to pass a kidney stone again and have a prescription for Hydrocodone. Which would be my best bet? ER with Toradol IV? Or stay at home with the Hydrocodone?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Depends on your level of pain and the size of the stone. Toradol kills the pain instantly. It's for unbearable pain. Hydrocodone will help with mild/moderate pain. Is it the 1mm stone you mentioned earlier? If it is, I'm willing to bet you will be fine with the hydrocodone. Let us know how it's going and good luck!

• Posted

Yes, same stone, but last MRI was in July and at that time it was 1mm. No idea how big it might be by now. I'm such a wreck!

• Posted

Hi Scareddcat

Well I agree that it depends on the size of the stone you will be passing.  Only you know how much pain you 

can tolerate.  So if it is something you can deal with, I'd say stay home and use the Hydrocodone and only if

you really need it, as you can get addicted to this drug.  Now if it becomes Severe Pain, then you could always

go to the ER and ask for Toradol via IV  which would help with the Severe pain must faster.  So really it will be up to you to make that decision as to how bad the pain is, and if you can tolerate it.  Best Wishes to you ~ Faith

• Posted

Thanks Faith! You and Assassin have both been so helpful. Wish I could just put this out of my mind. I feel like a ticking time bomb!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.