Need Guidance

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was on 150mg daily of Effexor for 9 years.  My doctor suggested I wean off it, and that took me months so I did not get any withdrawals.  Now depression returning after a year.  I really don't want to go back on Effexor again. 

I would like peoples views on Citlopram before I go back to the doctor.

~an you help?  What are people's experiences of this?

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Something to think about trying is 5-HTP bought over the counter (at Holland & Barrett) and l-tyrosine also bought in the same shop.  You need both these together which stops gastric upset.  Read a book called 5-HTP: The Natural Way to Overcome Depression, Obesity and Insomnia by Michael T Murray (Amazon).  A really good read.  5-HTP is natural and mimics SSRI's.

NOT to be taken with SSRI's though.

• Posted

I have triued 5HTP and St John's Wort.  The 5HTP gave me side effects, the St John's made no difference.  Just taking Kalms now and supplements I have always taken, Omega 3, Multi vitamin and mineral, and Vitamin B complex, and about to start Vitamin D3.

I won't try 5HTP again, but thank you for your input.

Did anything beside anti depressants help you?

• Posted

Hi Anne

What side effects did you get from 5-HTP? When I had my Citralopram break and took 5-HTP I initially got stomached problems, but reading the book I realised I had to take l-tyrosine with it which stopped the side effect. When I had my year off medication, I found these really helped and I did t get my depression back.

Other natural medications I've tried are Vit B6, Vit D3, Kalms, and others I've forgotten about now :-). I still take D3, Calcium and Cod Liver Oil but that's for a calcium/sunshine deficiency I had (docs orders).

Other than many different anti depressants over the years I've been ill, I had counselling, CBT and hypnotherapy - none helped.  Dr Claire Weeks books were a tremendous help but it wasn't until I took Citralopram did I recover properly. 15 years of medication now and it's going good.

• Posted

Hey there Kate.  Well perhaps I did not give the 5-HTP a chance.  Had depression for so many yeasrs taken o many different anti depressants. I am so lad you are feling better now.  Gosh this site goes to pieces sometimes and makes nonsense of what I am writing.  Have to correct, and gets me uptight.

Will write later

• Posted

Know what you mean ...... between my iPad auto correcting and this site being slow when I type etc words keep coming out wrong too (most I correct, some I miss).

cheesygrin

• Posted

Oh I thought it was my computer going slow and had it looked at.  Now realise it is this site.  I type in words and it makes it look like a foreign language.  Longer I am on the site the worse it gets. 

I think I will start a discussion and ask if others get the same.

• Posted

Yes this site is weird on my iPad.  Not tried it on the computer.  neutral
    • Posted

I think it's probably a victim of its own popularity, at busy times it just hangs for ages then often times out.  Isn't it weird when you type and the words don't appear for ages, confuses the life out of me.
  • Posted

How come the 4 bottom replies have appeared here when they're on another discussion.

Weird.......

• Posted

cue music from the Twilight Zone..........smile
    • Posted

Haha I nearly said the same thing!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.