Need guidance in low carb dieting...

Posted , 12 users are following.

I am at 5 mg pred after 3 years and gained 25 unwanted pounds which I have been unable to lose despite walking daily ( 1/2 to 45 min).and watching calories. This question is aimed at Eileen and any other successful dieters. Specifically, was this an Atkins Diet or variation, Eileen? I am so discouraged. Once always a size 10, this is hard to face. My chest has grown 3 sizes and I feel like I will topple over! Anyone who struggles with PMR and weight gain will know what I am talking about! Thanks in advance with any suggestions. What would we do without this forum?!

1 like, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Roda, this may sound bad, but fear is how I managed to do my strict anti inflammation diet. I never gained weight, just lost.

only meat, veggies, maybe some fruit in mornings with protein (fruit high in calories).

Best is to try to be creative, with eggs, you can put so much in them, spinach, kale, avacados, even cucumber., mushrooms! Maybe bacon! Fills you up.  No gluten carbs so won't get hungry too soon. Add spices, Tumeric, oregano, ...cilantro.

same in big leafy salad for lunch, add fresh parsley, cilantro, oil and vinegar dressing with spices. Cook some veggies and put in to salad. Lots of them.

If you roast the veggies you can get roasted flavor in there too.

I found kale too tough sometimes, so I put it in food processor to really chop it up! Easier to eat and cook. 

Fear of relapses, or flare keeps me from eating dairy or flour or rice or legumes, or sugar.  I'll cheat every now and then, but again, fear gets me back. 

Hee, Hee, sometimes fear helps us out. wink

Also, smoothies with plain yougert, and just a few pieces of fruit, doesn't take much to sweeten it, maybe hemp protein or other protein powder.

You'll soon learn flour products make us feel like it's an addiction! 

Good luck, 

• Posted

Layne, your diet sounds amazing.  I couldn't get rid of dairy, like my cheese and milk in tea too much, but most of the rest id how we eat.  My go-to meals when I don't want to cook are big salads, nowadays often based on kale, in the summer, and big soups in the winter.  Just keep adding ingredients until a "rainbow" is there on the plate or in the bowl. 🍲🌈
  • Posted

My weight gain has been a problem. I have tried Dr Dukan diet which worked very well but it is quite harsh and not liveable with over a long period. So I am now trying to be CARB free, its easier to follow but you must check out the fruit & veg that contain carbs (Sugar), It is working slowly, I just can't spend another summer looking like a beached whale!!!!!!! Good luck hope it works.
  • Posted

I am in same boat. I was OK for first couple of months. Then up, up...I have gained about 15#s and of course for a year I have been unable to do much at all. I had been extremely active, and belong to my TOPS (TakeOffPoundsSensibly) club for 12 years. Stayed at my goal. NOW, BECAUSE I have GCA also, pred was 60, down to 50, roundest face I have EVER had, and tummy, too. But, NO SHOULDER HIP PAIN!  And working on the eye/headaches. I am also back walking at my speed, to build muscle back. I will do ANYTHING to save eyes!  I eat low carbs, nothing bothers my stomach. Hang in there!  We can share info here! 👍🏻👏🏻
  • Posted

Thank you all for your helpful remarks! I'm sorry but I've even traveling so not responding. Such good encouragement speeds me on. So I will start tomorrow with my lo carb life. Always have problems with breakfast as eggs get very repetitive for me. Any suggestions? Also wonder how many of you drink a glass or two of wine without defeating the diet? If this diet becomes a life style for PMR, I do want to enjoy wine at least a little! Any other comments or suggestions always appreciated!
    • Posted

I think everyone on a low carb diet finds breakfast the hardest to adjust to - we are all so conditioned to eat cereal/toast etc.

I often eat home made soup, or left overs from dinner the night before.

It can take a while to get used to eating 'non breakfast' foods for breakfast!

• Posted

oh, forgot to say that personally I don't think a couple (or three) glasses of wine are a problem unless there's another reason you can't drink.

I am on methotrexate with bad liver readings so I have to avoid it like the plague - it's killing me!!

• Posted

I used to have a big bowl of (healthy whole grain) cereal  and tea for breakfast. After pred and raised blood sugar i now eat, every morning, 1/3 cup pumpkin seeds, two eggs fried in olive oil or ghee or sometimes coconut oil, an orange or a kiwifruit, and a big mug of tea with milk.  Don't miss the cereal at all!  ☕
    • Posted

Ditto about breakfast... Since I will try to eat less eggs for a few weeks to see what happens, I was worried.  But my husband and I bought ground turkey meat and pork and made homemade sausage. No sugar! Just salt, and other spices.  Not bad.  wink 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.